• RS1's to Kings Park State Hospital

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard_Glueck

Either a Friday or Saturday afternoon, I spotted three RS1's dragging freight through Syosset. I called three other train chasing buddies, and we're off. We caught the train at Huntington station, then chased it up through the line. I'm remembering Setauket for the gravel pits, but I may be all wrong. (Advice to you young railfans, either write it down or don't get old.) The real fun was inside the KPSH grounds. I think this was the rarest train I chased on the Island.
Waiting at Huntington for what?

Okay, here's what!

Switching the gravel pits.

Getting finished at the pits.

Back on the road.

Switching the hospital coal trestle.

The units involved were RS1's 464, 468, and possibly 461. I always liked RS1's because of the steam loco style cab and the boxy car body. They really hung in after the demise of steam, and you could usually find at least one at Oyster Bay, which was a treat in the days of the C420.

Enjoy.

Dick

by alcoc420

Great photos! What year? 1964?

by John 61

Richard, Is the first shot taken crossing over Jericho Tpke in Syosset? Looks to be around 1968-69 since the big green high tension poles are up. I believe these went up around this time just before the LIRR put in the third rail. As a young boy, I always remember those Evergreen Boxcars. They must have been in a lot of Port Jeff Branch freights for them to stick in my mind .

by Richard_Glueck

!969. John, I know that trestle of which you refer. The first two shots are at Huntington, but actually, I believe I first spotted the train on the Jericho Turnpike trestle, right next to Lafayette Radio Electronics.

Point to be taken: There were at least three other guys with me when these photos were shot, and each had cameras. Each was a dyed in the wool railfan, too. There have to be hundreds of original, unpublished LIRR photographs out there. I'm betting there is stuff going way back into the steam era, laying in attics and cellar chests, not to mention family photo albums.

DId anyone ever check to see what became of Vincxent Alvino's collection? He had movies and slides like you can't believe.

by NIMBYkiller

AWESOME SHOTS!

by tushykushy

Hey Richard, do you by any chance have any shots from the Pilgrum State Hosiptal out in Brentwood? I've been to the site where the coal was dumped back in the summer as well as been to the old abandoned station. I would love to see any shots if you have any of that location.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

1969! probably My favorate year of my life so far. Man walked on the moon, woodstock, The Beatles were still together, and of course the Mets won the world series...I was 15 years old..thanks for the memories :P

by Dave Keller

Urban Legend . . .

Man did not walk on the moon and the Met's didn't win the World Series.

Both were staged events. :wink:

Yeah . . . . right!

"Let's Go Mets!"

Dave

P.s. My '69 Dodge Dart was nice, too! DK

by Paul

Hands down, the RS-1 is in my opinion, the best locomotive Alco ever built, both in looks and dependability. BTW, Dave...Who spiked Buddy Haroldson during the series that caused a fight????

by 9C1LT1

Impressive photos Richard!! I was just at the KP spur two weeks ago, so silent... How many RS-1's did the LIRR have? Anyway I can't wait to see more photos!!

-Barry

by alcoc420

I recollect reading that the LIRR had 9 RS-1s.

by Dave Keller

Paul:

I don't remember the details . . . . just the huge celebration throughout NYC and LI.

I kinda think it was equal to the Bklyn Dodgers winning their World Series after so many close-but-no-cigar situations.

Dave

by Dave Keller

The LIRR ran nine (9) RS-1 locomotives: #s 461-469 inclusive.

And I agree . . . . they were one of the most stylish diesel in my estimation. Classic lines and just something about them that attracted you!

Enjoy!!!

Dave

by Richard_Glueck

They looked like locomotives. Fine lines, reliable as heck, and long lived. One other thing about RS1's. They were a tangible link to the steam era, and while they continued to work, the late steam atmosphere seemed apparent.

by badneighbor

the pictures are awesome. what year were the RS 1 group retired?