• Roxy the Long Island Railroad Dog

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by drumz0rz

I was reading a book about Northport's history and I found a stub talking about how "Roxy the Long Island Railroad Dog" came out on the trolley to Main St. Northport one day back in 1911 and ended up having dinner with one of the locals. I had never heard of Roxy, so I did a quick google search and found a great NY Times article from the same year. Really interesting and heart warming for those who don't know about Roxy.
A DOG WITH MANY MASTERS.; Roxy Acknowledges Allegiance to One and All Long Island Railroad Men.
  by LongIslandTool

Most of us know Roxy's buried just south of Merrick station. His gravestone (and dog water fountain) is literally under the guard rail of the turning lane for Sunrise Highway. The grave was saved by a considerate LIRR project manager when renovations were being done to the station about 12 years ago.
  by Pilgrim Next

Roxeys grave site, somebody still leaves flowers.

Looking at the station from the grave site.
  by SwingMan

Pilgrim Next wrote: Image

I don't think I'd want my dogs drinking that water (unless it has holy-rr dog powers:P ).
  by workextra

I'm thankful that it's been saved, My question is why was that not salvaged and placed inside the station building for a historic display. It's in a very dangerous location. one car accident can destroy it for ever.
I highly doubt Roxy was buried at that specific location.
In light of this years history celebration, I'm surprised that this story did not surface, It's a very unique story and something that would capture the hearts of the animal loving commuters.
It's the LIRR's version the chessie cat story.
  by MACTRAXX

PN: Good pics of Roxey's final resting place! I never realized when the 70s era grade crossing eliminations were constructed that Roxey's tombstone would end up almost in Sunrise Highway as shown because of further road construction - if it wasn't for that sturdy box-beam guard rail protecting it I would be apprehensive also.
I remember reading in Steel Rails to the Sunrise about Roxey and that small water cup in front was to allow other animals access to water.
I want to get over there to look at this myself - thanks for making it easy to find! MACTRAXX
  by Pilgrim Next

There are stories about Roxey that I had heard or read, one of them was that the RR gave him a Lifetime pass that was on his collar, and it said " Hi! I am Roxey, The LIRR Dog, who's dog are you?"

Another story was that when Teddy Roosevelt was President, the dog got into his private car on the way to Oyster bay, ( Oyster bay was the location of the summer white house, he had offices in the town, as well as his home on sagamore hill)
A porter was trying to remove roxey, and the Conductor said no he has a pass. Mr. Roosevelt came in, heard the story and let roxey stay.
Roxey is a part of the LIRR that died when the MTA took over.
  by MADDOG

HI all. According to "Steel Rails...." by Ron Ziel, Roxey died in 1914 and WAS buried at the Merrick LIRR station. Try and remember this. In 1914 Sunrise "Highway" was merely a 2 lane road and the LIRR tracks were farther to the north at grade level.
Sunrise "Highway" (27) has been enlarged and widend so many times while the LIRR grade eliminations have moved the elevated tracks to the south.
I visit Roxeys grave regularly and try and keep the water dish clean. Somebody else leaves flowers and someone has left a little dog statue.
Ond day a few years ago I was driving North on the Cross Island Pkway just south of Belmont yard. Traffic was horrific and I found it was due to a dog (boxer) wandering North in the Left lane. No one wanted to hurt the dog and the CIP was empty in front of me. I opened my door, whistled to the dog who came running to me. I told it to sit and fed it my breakfast. After it ate, I told it to come and it entered my car. The reason I am telling you this is because, The Boxer is now healthy, happy and more importantly name ROXEY.
Thanks for letting me share this story.
MADDOG
  by MADDOG

Just like the LIRR Roxey, I have to think that my Roxey also did not have the kind of life any dog should have, until she was found that day on the parkway.
I don't know who was luckier, her for being there for me to find, or me, for being there for her to find. Either way, she's happy, healthy and has a great older sister and her cat to play with and enjoy (hopefully) a long life with. Sorry to get off topic.
Here she is.
MADDOG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Pilgrim Next

The right dog is the most loyal creature I have ever seen.
They always love you, are always there for you.
Working different hours for the RR, there were many times I came home in the wee hours, and the dog was always there to greet ya at the door, and was happy to see you.
The dog I have now has helped me through some dark times too.
Glad you gave Roxey a second chance.

Dogs love you more then your spouse does. Want proof? Lock your dog and spouse in a closet for an hour, and see who is happy to see you when you let them out! (Just joking, but it IS true :wink: )
  by jmeechum

Roxey's little friend....

12/16/09
  by pennsy

Long Islanders are famous for such acts. When I was with AIL in Deer Park, there was also a dog that was "adopted" by the company personnel. When that dog passed away, it was buried on the front lawn of the main building. I believe AIL is not there any longer, but most probably the gravesite is.
  by daverail

Keep your eyes open for a children's book about Roxey to be published in the springtime. The author is Heather Worthington. She has a book signing planned at the Railroad Museum of Long Island sometime in June. The book tells Roxey's story and has many illustrations. It is a nice book for young and old. I would rate it AAA +++
  by geico

pennsy wrote:Long Islanders are famous for such acts. When I was with AIL in Deer Park, there was also a dog that was "adopted" by the company personnel. When that dog passed away, it was buried on the front lawn of the main building. I believe AIL is not there any longer, but most probably the gravesite is.

Didnt the AIL site become the Tanger Outlets @ Deer Park? If so, I highly doubt the gravesite is there any more.