Railroad Forums 

• Route 15 equipment.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#47493  by R8FoxChase

I saw that the 13th PCCII car came in this week meaning that they are only 5 short of the whole fleet. I wonder how long these cars can sit inactive without some damage being done to them from sitting? I think that this is the third or fourth car that has come back since the driver training was completed, meaning they have never been used on the street. I can't help but think that sitting like this has to harm the cars in some way. I Emailed Jim Nolan to find out when his follow up story will be in the Daily News about route 15 but got no response of course.

#47565  by jfrey40535

Does anyone know of any local reps that would be interested or required to put attention to this matter? $60million came out of our pockets to complete this project and we got nil out of it. Sure we will someday, but the delays are inexcusable.

No trolley service can resume regardless as the wires have been taken down from the Reading Railroad bridge at Lehigh & Richmond.

#47580  by R8FoxChase

What bothers me the most about this situation is the lack of information. SEPTA says nothing about it, and the media doesn't seem to want to get involved either. Meanwhile all that money has been spent and 13 rebuilt trolleys are sitting idle. I had no idea the trolley wires were removed at Lehigh Ave. Seems like something that deserves some attention to me.

#48637  by pennengineer

For what it's worth, I saw a PCC-II on the 40th St. loop this afternoon displaying "15 - Instructor Car" in yellow, with about 15 employees in it. It was facing South on the west end of the loop.

#48712  by R8FoxChase

pennengineer wrote:For what it's worth, I saw a PCC-II on the 40th St. loop this afternoon displaying "15 - Instructor Car" in yellow, with about 15 employees in it. It was facing South on the west end of the loop.

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that these vehicles are getting used. Now I'm assuming this vehicle came from Elmwood so I guess they're keeping some down there for training purposes. Hopefully that's an encouraging sign. Thanks again for passing it on.

#48751  by jfrey40535

What's not encouraging is that there are no wires on Richmond Street, unless they plan on pushing the cars under the bridge

#48797  by pennengineer

You're welcome. The car left the loop heading SW on Woodland, probably on its way to Elmwood.
 #58116  by wintrain

Are the PCC II cars visible from public areas at Callowhill or Elmwood? Will be visiting Philadelphia this month and was hoping to check them out. Thanks in Advance.
 #58129  by Septaman113

I don't know about Elmwood,haven't be down there in a while,But after work one night last week I drove by Callowhill and where the first set of track that go inside I saw a couple of them stting there and they look like they just collecting dust.I parked on the 59th St side and got out and walked over to an Septa employee and just for the helk of it,I asked if I could go inside just to look at them,but he just said that he was sorry that its Employees only then went on to explain about the residents on 59th St,but he didn't know about the wires at Richmond and Lehigh.He even admitted that it is such a waste on Septa's part.Hopefully,they'll be running somtime in 2005.
 #58133  by SEPTALRV9072

wintrain wrote:Are the PCC II cars visible from public areas at Callowhill or Elmwood? Will be visiting Philadelphia this month and was hoping to check them out. Thanks in Advance.
At Elmwood, I'd say go to 73rd and Grays which is the location of the back of the yard. There are quite a few of the back there.

#58165  by R8FoxChase

Thanks for those photos, chuchubob. It's sad that those cars are just sitting unused out in the elements.

#58201  by jfrey40535

8 of the cars are "stranded" at Callowhill.

#58252  by SEPTALRV9072

jfrey40535 wrote:8 of the cars are "stranded" at Callowhill.
They aren't stranded. They go out on training runs on the 10 everyday. I think if you go out to 36 and Lancaster, you'll see that wye in use a couple times a day.

#58477  by jfrey40535

ooookay, so if the cars can come and go from the depot for training, why can't the go out and pick up passengers????

And what still doesent make sense, the 10 comes out of Elmwood, and 63rd-Malvern isn't that far from 63rd-Girard, yet they won't temporarily move the 15 to Elmwood....same deadhead time!