Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bagpiper516

I heard some workers talking about this the other day. What exactly is a rolling meet? Thanks in advance.

Tom

by LIRRNOVA55

A Rolling Meet is usually when to trains meet on seperate tracks, one going one way one going another.

by bagpiper516

Oh...the way they were talking, it sounded like a big deal. Thanks for clearing it up, and for not making a "spinning pastrami" joke.

by jg greenwood

bagpiper516 wrote:Oh...the way they were talking, it sounded like a big deal. Thanks for clearing it up, and for not making a "spinning pastrami" joke.
Rolling meets are much preferred in that neither train has to stop vs: cooling your heels for extended periods waiting for the other guy to shine.

by bagpiper516

Oh ok...what determines whether a train stops and proceeds when the oncoming train passes, or if both go past at full speed?

by jg greenwood

bagpiper516 wrote:Oh ok...what determines whether a train stops and proceeds when the oncoming train passes, or if both go past at full speed?
Unless you have a double main line someone will be in the siding. Not many sidings have the same maximum authorized speed as the speed on the main is. In CTC (Centralized Traffic Control) the dispatcher lines you up with a signal at the end of the siding/main. In TWC (Track Warrant Control) the dispatcher will issue both trains track warrants to proceed. I hope I understood your question correctly.
Last edited by jg greenwood on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RPM2Night

Also with TWC one train will be instructed to hold the main, and the other will be instructed to clear the main at last named point.

by KLCS

Rolling meets also require longer sidings so both trains can go at a higher speed without hitting restrictive absolute home signals guarding the interlockings. Many Class 1's are upgrading their sidings as such.

Kyle