Railroad Forums 

• Rolling a car downhill

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#298502  by Aji-tater

I thought it was because Dutch men were stereotyped as short. The same term is also used in track - a dutchman is a short piece of rail used to fill a gap, or when a rail breaks near the end and you just put another set of angle bars on the break until you can change it out, or bridge the break with one set of bars.

Returning to the air hose dutchmen, I have never heard of them being outlawed but that may well be, that point about their not being attached to the car sounds like something the Federales would come up with.

Sometimes you have a car which has excessive travel on the cushion draft gear, the hose is mounted wrong, or some other problem: every time you stretch the train out the hoses separate and you are in emergency. That gets old in a hurry, especially in winter, especially when it's a ways back in the train. On some roads locos carried a dutchman as standard equipment. It's a darn handy thing and makes a lot of sense, so if they have not banned it yet they soon will ;-)

#298547  by keotaman

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:(excerpt) ... Named for the Pennsylvania Dutch carmen, from the Reading railroad, and PRR, in the Penn. Dutch Region, of Pa., who originally fabricated them. ...
Great, thanks for quick response -- makes sense.

#298624  by GOLDEN-ARM

Could be the origin of the spliced rail, as well? The last time I was working out of Montgomery, Al., out of the CSX yard, we came up "short" trying to make a coupling, between a couple of cushion cars. Going to the car shop/one stop, we asked the foreman for one. He looked puzzled, and told us they were "outlawed", and he didn't have any. We went inside, from another door, and asked a carman to make us one, at his hose station. He said he didn't want to get fired, over a damned hose. First time I had heard anything like that. Place I'm at now, a brand-new one, on every engine, on the property. Maybe it's a CSX thing, maybe the carmen here know how important they really are. That "Dutchman" explaination, came from a LV engineer/RFE, from Oak Island, and to me, his word was Gospel. Regards :-D

#298641  by DutchRailnut

The Dutch are tallest peole in world so that Dutchman are short is a myth only your girlfriend can confirm or dispute ;-)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_ ... est_people

#298679  by steemtrayn

Outlawed, huh? If you can't keep the hoses together, how do they expect you to move the train? I s'pose you could re-arrange the cars and hope for a better match-up.

#298955  by SteelWheels21

They call those things "Peanut" hoses out here and a lot of units will have them on board. Good source for nice new rubber gaskets.

#298957  by UPRR engineer

We have a different name also, aint as nice as Steels, Donkey D___.

#298994  by GOLDEN-ARM

steemtrayn wrote:Outlawed, huh? If you can't keep the hoses together, how do they expect you to move the train? I s'pose you could re-arrange the cars and hope for a better match-up.
Simple, steem, if the hoses dont connect, it means one of them is too short. (a rather common replacement error) All you have to do, is replace the short hose, with one of the correct length. There has GOT to be a well supplied car shop facility, somewhere in the area, say, 400-500 miles radius, from where you are stranded at. Tell that conductor, to start walkin'............ :P

have also heard of them called "dummies", "peanuts" and the name that UPRR doesn't want to use here, either.......

#299226  by CSX Conductor

I too have heard that the FRA frowns upon the use of Dutchmen. :(

#299689  by Jayjay1213

I had heard that rumor while working for Guilford. I see them all the time, used to see them occasionally come in on CSX when working for the NYA. Here in Harrisburg on NS, I see them all the time, and a lot of them are new ones. If they were truly outlawed I doubt they would be so common on safety king NS.

#299856  by GOLDEN-ARM

Jayjay1213 wrote:I had heard that rumor while working for Guilford. I see them all the time, used to see them occasionally come in on CSX when working for the NYA. Here in Harrisburg on NS, I see them all the time, and a lot of them are new ones. If they were truly outlawed I doubt they would be so common on safety king NS.

Safety Kings? Aren't these the same guys, who brought us "toilet in a bucket"? Preventing personal injuries, with the same "zeal" seen in the nazis, is different from using an item, that may or may not be legal to use. Just a thought...... :P

#300343  by Jayjay1213

[color=teal]Safety Kings? Aren't these the same guys, who brought us "toilet in a bucket"? Preventing personal injuries, with the same "zeal" seen in the nazis, is different from using an item, that may or may not be legal to use. Just a thought...... :P [/color][/quote]

Very true. They also don't seem to treat any of the other departments the way T&E is. I'm not complaining mind you. I do laugh at how they let the remotes get away with murder, but those beauties I think are being discuseed in another topic.

#301172  by roadster

The "static drop" as CSX refers to it was not permited by NORAC, but when I hired on in 2000 CSX training center in Atlanta, taught us the technique. The "dutchman" are utilized by CSX since I've hired on, and before. The one that surprised me was the "runaround hose", utilized on a road frieght where a brake pipe failure accures on a car. (such as a a hole worn in the pipe or broken connection), and a hose the length of a car is attached to the airlines of the cars at either end. "running around" the defective car allowing the train to continue to the next terminal where the car can be left for repairs.

#301176  by CSX Conductor

Run-around hoses are great, but too rare. :(

#301415  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those "run-around" hoses, were/are legal, under the eyes of the FRA, to move a car in the train, to the nearest repair point. Conrail, in the early 90's, began equipping all of the road locos, with them. Rolled up flat, on a spool, they were/are made from the same type of hose, as a fire hose. Bungee cords were also included, for stringing your "new and improved" brakepipe, along the outside of the car, to jump around the car, with the failed pipe. Although we never used one, for a trainline repair, we did use them on occasion, to pull cars on an adjacent track, to move them without going into that track, with the power. Kind of like, the "poor mans car mover". Regards :-D