Railroad Forums 

• Rochester area rail map?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1455184  by D Alex

Does anybody have a detailed rail map of Rochester, circa 1925-ish? I'm trying to figure out some of the remaining rights-of-way, and between 5 or more Class1 railroads and numerous interurbans, it gets confusing. A map would be greatly appreciated.
 #1455232  by rls62

I noticed that the 1920 map shows a siding coming off the NYC north of St. Paul Blvd. running NW into Seneca Park. I'm guessing this was used to bring passengers into the park. It looks like the right-of-way ran where the zoo is today. I think the zoo opened about 1930, so any remains of this siding are long gone unless someone out there knows something I don't know.
 #1455233  by BR&P

I saw that also. I admit I am not well versed in Rochester's streetcar lines but I know there used to be one on at least parts of St Paul Street (rails were still visible in the pavement until relatively recently near the Thomas Avenue intersection). Is it possible this was a streetcar line which was drawn into the map as if it was a RWO/NYC line? Or did the steam railroad still have a track for passenger service to the park?
 #1455234  by rls62

BRP, I think you might be correct about the streetcar scenario. I'll have to do a little digging. I think the NYC ended passenger service on that line in 1908, unless of course they continued to serve Seneca Park. I grew up near the north end of Seneca Park, so that rail line was a big part of my childhood Today it's just a memory.
 #1455236  by rls62

I think I found the answer on page 99 of William R. Gordon's "Ninety Four Years of Rochester Railways Volume 1":

"(Rochester) Railway Company has secured the sanction of the Parks Commissioners for the extension of its lines into Seneca Park, and the company will now have to secure the franchise for the extension. The company's cars have been operated to the park entrance, and as the attractions in the park are some distance from the terminus of the car lines, it is expected that the extension will be a valuable one."
 #1455242  by BR&P

Good work! Gordon's books have a wealth of information, the problem is finding it. So it seems that branch was not NYC's line, as we suspected.