Railroad Forums 

• RJ1 questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1266671  by NS59

Looking to make the most of my trip to the Battenkill this Mon/Tue and it would seem most of this will revolve around Pan AMs RJ1. I would like to catch the Battenkill and the VTR in North Bennington,VT. Is this even possible as it seems they would both operate at the same time? Anthything to tip me off as to when the RJ1 will arrive and is there a "usual" time to gets to North Bennington and Eagle Bridge. I really want to get the interchange at North Bennington and the bridge over the Hoosic.

Thanks,

Dave
 #1266700  by B&M 1227

RJ-1 usually runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays unless something goes terribly wrong. The goal is to make it to North Bennington around midday, but they've been getting in around 4/5 fairly consistently. The BK is pretty good about meeting them on Tuesdays and Thursdays and will sometimes run on the other days of the week if a road train has cars for them. Where are you coming from? I'd start on the BK in the morning because the light is best on southbound runs. They'll probably have to wait awhile for RJ-1 to show up, so you could bail after Cambridge and try to catch the southbound VTR train in Arlington/Manchester, or follow the BK to Eagle Bridge in the event that there's some road trains (which isn't a bad bet, EDRJ/RJED/EDMO/MOED have been running in daylight recently, and 206/22k usually come east ahead of RJ-1). If all's dead in EB, you're best bet is to shoot west on Rt 67 in the hopes of running into an eastbound. There's signals at Beck Rd in Eagle Bridge, Buskirk, Johnsonville, Schaghticoke, and Ferry St Schaghticoke, which are always lit and will tip you off if there's an east or westbound running. The signals at the Eagle Bridge station will only illuminate if there's a train east of them or at Hoosick Jct and the signal at Hunt Rd in Buskirk is approach lit. In any case good luck next week. I've been itching to get back out on the BK.
 #1267173  by NS59

Thank you for the info. I am coming from WNY but will be spending the night prior in Saratoga Springs.
 #1267187  by B&M 1227

In that case, I'd plan to arrive at Greenwich/Greenwich Jct around 8 or 9. I usually come from the other direction and will usually end up passing their hi-rail on the trek from Greenwich-Greenwich Jct. If you don't see the white hi-rail in the yard, they've probably already made it to Greenwich Jct.