Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Frank

I'll try to be there.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Looks like the Railfest at riverhead will be a fun day for rail fans. I went by on trains 256, and 253, and looked over the setup. They have tents out, and a Miniature railroad oval set up, and small track inspection vehicles set up for viewing (sorry the name of them escapes me right now..old age i guess) Anyway, looks like a fun day for all. :-D

by Long island Joe

What a Great Day it was Today at Railfest
[img]http://long_island_joe.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/4879/SV300134.JPG[/img]

Day 2 Tomorrow

by NIMBYkiller

Had a good time. Sorry I couldn't volunteer you guys.

by Srnumber9

Went for the very first time yesterday, and brought my wife and 3 year old son. We had a great time!

When we rode the Word's Fair train I had the thought that probably the last time I rode that train I was my kid's age!

by Dave Keller

Help me out here . . . .

What's the significance of the Louisville & Indiana unit to Railfest?

Dave Keller

by LIRRNOVA55

display. . other then thjat. . not a thing. .

by RPM2Night

If you look quickly not really paying attention you'd think it was a New York & Atlantic locomotive? lol

by jayrmli

It's an Anacostia & Pacific locomotive with a decent paint job.

Jay

by Dave Keller

Is it the property of the museum or was it just brought in for the day?

IF it's the property of the museum, is it in running conditon?

Dave Keller

by Long Island 7285

It's in running condition and it is still used by NYA in pond, i herad it has a porblem and thats why its out in LD. whats the real deal?

i like the paint job lets make its brunswick and make the stripe gold, letter PRR in the keysyone :-D

by John 61

Here's another angle.

Image[/url]

by n2qhvRMLI

Hello Forum Members,

The engine has been running at idle all weekend and sounded to be in fine shape. Maybe Jay can speak to any issues it may have, we at the Museum didn't hear of any.

We specifically asked the NYA this year to send out one of the "new" engines for the RR photographers. Years past the NYA had been good to send us their caboose and GP-38's painted in green and white and most recently the 9/11 dedication loco. The committee felt those units had already been photographed at earlier Railroad Festivals and the green and yellow livery of the Nashville and Indiana would be a treat. From the looks of the postings and the number of photogs I saw around the engine - I think it was!

Many thanks to the NYA, the LIRR, the MTA Police and all the other organizations and sooooo many volunteers who helped make Riverhead Railroad Festival 2005 such a great success!

de Don, N2QHV

by Rush2ny

Don,
Went today in between the drizzle and had a blast and, yes, the L&I loco was a fave for me too (even though I see it every day). I can't wait for the next event!

Russ