Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Long island Joe

Riverhead Railroad Festival
The 2005 Riverhead Railroad Festival will be held at our Riverhead site on Saturday August 27 and Sunday August 28. This year's theme will be "The End of Steam Operations on Long Island". A part of this theme will be a commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the End of Steam Ceremony. There will be exhibits about steam operations and the change-over to diesel. Also at the festival you can enjoy:

- a historic photo exhibit
- model train displays
- visiting historic LIRR cars
- kids can ride our miniature train
- mini-theater showing film/video footage
- collectible train and toy sale
- food, music and other entertainment

www.rmli.org

by Otto Vondrak

Wait... there are trains on Long Island?

by DutchRailnut

yup but just not Metro North Trains

by mkm4

DutchRailnut wrote:yup but just not Metro North Trains
Once I saw a Metro North train on LIRR tracks in Massapequa, but this was circa 1984-5. I have no idea why it was there.

by Long Island 7285

was that the one with the FL9's on that fan trip?

also LIRR trains were on MN tracks plenty of times in the late '90s
  by Otto Vondrak

So wait... there are TRAIN MUSEUMS on Long Island, too? I'm not sure I follow...

-otto-

by mkm4

Long Island 7285 wrote:was that the one with the FL9's on that fan trip?

also LIRR trains were on MN tracks plenty of times in the late '90s
No. I think it was an M series or at least it looked like an M series train. I don't remember it having very many cars. Two, maybe four at the most.

by Long island Joe

I was a member of The NRHS And We Had lot of Trip's on MN tracks From 1990 to 1994 I Have Photos of The Fantrip's The Long Island Sunrise Trail of The NRHS Put on Great Fantrip's Over The Year's