Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by rail10

what is the experience like when riding via rail from toronto to montreal I have never ridden it?
  by jp1822

I rode this line on the overnight VIA's Enterprise train a few times, that has since been cancelled. The Enterprise was equipped with Renaissance equipment when I took it (the first time I think it was still the Stainless Steel Budd or Heritage equipment). I recall from my Enterprise trip that the Renaissance coach seating looked really neat. I had a deluxe sleeper so just took a peak at the coaches. My experience on the Enterprise, and its Renaissance equipment, was probably one of the best night's sleep I ever got on a train. Smooth ride all the way. Feel lucky that I got to experience this overnight train before it was cancelled. I've heard it may come back during peak periods to connect with the Canadian, but I won't hold my breath. It afforded a nice connection with VIA's transcontinental Canadian train.

Sorry I can't relate a daylight experience!

I am not sure if the Montreal to Toronto trains are equipped with Renaissance equipment or not - on the trains that now operate on this corridor. I think the Renaissance equipment is neat - sleepers and coaches. I've always wanted to the daylight VIA 1 Class on this corridor.
  by NS VIA FAN

jp1822 wrote:I am not sure if the Montreal to Toronto trains are equipped with Renaissance equipment or not - on the trains that now operate on this corridor. I think the Renaissance equipment is neat - sleepers and coaches. I've always wanted to the daylight VIA 1 Class on this corridor.
The Renaissance cars are not used between Montreal and Toronto but are in daytime corridor service between Montreal and Quebec City. They are also used between Montreal and Halifax on two of the three “Ocean” sets including Renaissance coaches, sleepers, diners and lounges.

For a First Class corridor experience (Toronto to Ottawa) see my Trip Report here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14950

by George L.

The ride from Mtl-Tor can be a rather bucolic experience, with pretty country homes, wonderful views of the St.Lawrence and Lake Ontario, and even the occasional old bridge spanning reedy rivers. In contrast, the metal behemoth that is the century-old Bownmanville foundry (just east of Toronto) is a jaw-dropper, and if you like train sightings, check out the Canadian Public Transportation Discussion Board for goodies to look out for.