Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by oleanfuzz

Via has moved all of the retired cars from the west side of the MMC to somewhere that is no longer visible from the Bonaventure expressway. This includes the ex-amtrak LRC cars and all but one of the Budd Stainless steel cars that were not used in the HEP 2 program. Does anyone know where they've sent them?

by downbeat

Could it be they've been sold? I remember seeing a call for tenders some while ago.

by Ken V

downbeat wrote:Could it be they've been sold? I remember seeing a call for tenders some while ago.
Could be. Or maybe they've gone to the scrap yard. From my experience, VIA doesn't move cars around after sitting for a long time unless something like that has happened. To the contrary, VIA still has equipment sitting in the Maintenance Centres that has long ago been sold.

by oleanfuzz

Ken V wrote:
downbeat wrote:Could it be they've been sold? I remember seeing a call for tenders some while ago.
Could be. Or maybe they've gone to the scrap yard. From my experience, VIA doesn't move cars around after sitting for a long time unless something like that has happened. To the contrary, VIA still has equipment sitting in the Maintenance Centres that has long ago been sold.
CN track crews have been working in the yard on the west side of the MMC so perhaps they moved the equipment so that repairs to the yard could be made... I took the St-Hillare commuter train in on Friday to get a better view of the east side, but there the view was blocked by long lines of Chateau sleepers that are not being used right now.

by Bannonjr

We moved those cars from the west side to the east side. There are all parked and stored at the east/south side of the shop. CN was working over there to create a new lead and to remove one, but the reason we moved the cars, I believe and if I remember correctly, was from a request from the Nuns who have a tourist spot directly on the other side of the fence and , sorry to say, being spray painted by kids and smashed windows and all, they are an eye sore...