Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#269718  by Tadman

Howdy;
I was told this weekend by a friend familiar with Blue Island that there is a restaurant on old Western avenue called the Maple Inn or something of that nature, and it's mighty good eating. This is five minutes from the BI junction and also five minutes from the Metra stations. I'm going to investigate this week, and will report back - it's always nice to have good eats right by the tracks.

#269821  by Rockingham Racer

I think it's the Maple Tree Inn; used to be located on Western around 107th in Chicago; moved to Olde Western in BI about 7 or 8 years ago. It's south of the Cal-Sag Channel, hang a right, and go to the Metra tracks.
I've eaten there a couple of times. Nothing spectacular, IMO.

Rail Grill? I lived in BI for almost 20 years and never went there! Never had to, I guess!

#270245  by Tadman

Rail grill is a great place. It is different from the Maple Tree, as Maple Tree is south of the river off Western, and Rail Grill is due south of IC station across Vermont street.