• Remants of Manorville station?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

Forgot to post this in my original trip report. On my way out to RMLI on Saturday, I spotted a bus shelter-type structure on the south side of the tracks between Yaphank and Riverhead stations. My initial guess was that this is the abandonned Manorville station. Am I right?

by krapug

What you saw is the remnant of the Calverton Station.

This is probally the last of the Bus Shelter type stations remaining, it was last used as a passenger stop in the late 80's.

Ken

by Dave Keller

The Manorville depot was razed in June of 1941.

It was replaced with a concrete shelter shed on the south side of the tracks, in the location of the old wooden depot.

This concrete shed remained until the stop was discontinued in 1968. it was razed shortly thereafter.

There is no remnant of the station or depot structure there today, so I've been told.

Dave Keller

by GP38

There is nothing left of the Manorville station, aside from that little light (light with the station's call name?) that is present at most stations along the Montauk and Mainline.
That is definitely Calverton Station shed you have seen.

I had photos every station on the LIRR and most of the abandoned ones posted on a transitgallery webpage back in January, but unfortunately, transitgallery changed their format soon after, and the page was taken down. I would have directed you to my photo of the Mnorville station site and Calverton, but I have to start from scratch and re-upload everything and don't have time.
If I get a chance tomorrow, I will at least upload a current photo of the Calverton shed and the Manorville site.

BTW NIMBY, I am surprised you never signed up for SubChat, SubTalk's replacement (unless you are now there under a different handle). You were a regular at SubTalk.

by NIMBYkiller

Ah. Thanks for the correction everyone.

I don't know why I haven't signed up with subchat. I really should. I guess I've just been waiting for David to put the talks back up. Trust me, if I was there, you'd certainly know, lol.

by bluebelly

GP what you are refering to are Block Limit Signals. They have nothing to do with passenger stations though people assoicate them with the station that is or was near them. They indicate the limit of a block-where the block begins and ends- in manual block territory. A train cannot pass a Block Limit signal and enter a block unless it has recieved block authority usually via a clearence card form K.

by GP38

I had a chance to upload the Manorville Station site and Calverton Station site photos. Here's links to them:

Manorville site (2003)
You can just barely make out the block limit light in the distance on the right, that bluebelly explained the reason for.

Calverton site (1994)

by N.Y. State Of Mind

Manorville seems to be a good site for a park-n-ride.

by Dave Keller

The block limit signals to which bluebelly is referring, were originally mounted on the old semaphore block signal masts that were usually located in front of, or somewhere close to, a depot block office.

The original block signals were given identifying "call letters" usually coming from the name of the depot in front of which it was located (Manorville was "MR", coming from "M"ano"R"ville. Calverton was "AH", coming from it's previous name of B"A"iting "H"ollow.)

When the block offices were closed, either part time or permanently, these semaphore block signals were replaced with unattended block signals, which were the lamps mounted to the signal mast.

Years later, when all that was required was a block limit signal, either the masts were cut down to the short style and capped, or newer, short-style masts were installed. Over the years, even more modern forms of this signal have been installed.

Here's an example of Mattituck ("K") with the tall mast, sporting semaphore blades and unattended block signal lamps:

And Mattituck 9 years later with the shorter mast, displaying the block limit signal (the shelter-shed at the right is preparing to take over as the replacement depot):
Dave Keller

by GP38

And Then There Were None.......
Mattituck 1995

I have a current photo of Mattituck somehwhere too, with the high level platform, but can't find it right now.

by robertwa

Here it is.

by njgrptfan

Hey GP38,

That was a great web page you had! I hope it gets back up and running again. Good job!

by NIMBYkiller

Great pics man. It's amazing how that station shelter at Calverton looks like it hasn't aged a day since that picture.

by bluebelly

The Block Limit Station at Calverton is still AH and K block limit is still at Mattituck. It is south of the Main, east of the platform.

by Dave Keller

Here's the "newer" style block limit signal at Mattituck ("K"), taken back in 2001:

Compare with the old-style one that was at Yaphank ("YA") for many years, shot in 1968:

Dave Keller