Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matt Johnson

Bergen Line-NJCL wrote:Anybody know how many NJT F40s are left in service? If there any remaining, where are they being used?
16 I believe, primarily used between Maplewood and Chatham.
  by ACeInTheHole

Bergen Line-NJCL wrote:Anybody know how many NJT F40s are left in service? If there any remaining, where are they being used?
4120 and 4124 I believe are the last two left. 4120 I see up here occasionally on the Morris and Essex line. Your best bet is to try the BCL/Main, PVL and Montclair/M@E lines. Thomas, the F40s are to be replaced by the 45s weve gone over this.
  by CNJGeep

4124 has had a residency in Bay Head the last couple days. Don't know how long that will last.
  by airman00

Just recently I did see 4124 on the PVL. (Last week I believe)
  by ACeInTheHole

4120 I did see in Hoboken a couple weeks ago. No idea where it was going or where it had come from (didnt bother to check the schedule board for its track as I had something rather pressing that needed taking care of), but it was indeed there.
  by ACeInTheHole

Bergen Line-NJCL wrote:Wow, looks like they are becoming rare, is there a retirement date for the remaining ones?
To the best of my knowledge.. The 4120 had actually been retired already, but was kicked back into service to cover the Sandy shortage. It sounds every bit like it.It makes a very odd noise. I would say said noise is indicative of a mechanical failure, but its been running making that noise for over a year now.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:
Bergen Line-NJCL wrote:Wow, looks like they are becoming rare, is there a retirement date for the remaining ones?
To the best of my knowledge.. The 4120 had actually been retired already, but was kicked back into service to cover the Sandy shortage. It sounds every bit like it.It makes a very odd noise. I would say said noise is indicative of a mechanical failure, but its been running making that noise for over a year now.
Then I'd say the noise isn't a mechanical failure.
  by 25Hz

beanbag wrote:
Care to describe the noise? Sure it's not just an unbalanced cooling fan or something like that?
  by ACeInTheHole

Thomas wrote:
beanbag wrote:To the best of my knowledge.. The 4120 had actually been retired already, but was kicked back into service to cover the Sandy shortage. It sounds every bit like it.It makes a very odd noise. I would say said noise is indicative of a mechanical failure, but its been running making that noise for over a year now.
Is this noise dangerously loud?
Its not loud... Its just.. Distinctive.
  by srock1028

Looks like only one in service today, 4124 starting in Bay Head on 2308.
  by blockline4180

I know a lot of you are upset that NJT is retiring all their remaining F40's, but I don't really see the big deal in it as MTA has 8 of them operating out Hoboken, 4 of which are ex-NJT... They will most likely be around for awhile!! I guess you all like the NJT horns and paint schemes a lot better?????
  by R36 Combine Coach

Unfortunately, I see a bleak fate for the NJT F40s. At best they would serve as parts units for MBTA and Metra (major F40 operators) or MNCR's WoH fleet, but more likely, scrap value.
  by SecaucusJunction

blockline4180 wrote:I know a lot of you are upset that NJT is retiring all their remaining F40's, but I don't really see the big deal in it as MTA has 8 of them operating out Hoboken, 4 of which are ex-NJT... They will most likely be around for awhile!! I guess you all like the NJT horns and paint schemes a lot better?????

And this is why you never leave the house just to see an NJT train...
  by lnj

srock1028 wrote:Looks like only one in service today, 4124 starting in Bay Head on 2308.
It's on the M&E now. It just left Maplewood headed west.
  by ACeInTheHole

Feel its prudent to mention that if you want a good horn show. 4124s horn was replaced with one of those more recent K5LAs that are heavily restricted. If you want the classic ear splitter, 4120 is the one to catch.