• Red Line Door Open While in Operation

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I just saw this on universalhub.com and was about to post....I guess the age old question of the possiblilty of a Red Line moving with a door open has been answered
  by StevieC48

Well it seems like the train was on door by pass or the no motion reset was used. Looks like a 15-1700 series car.
  by MaineCoonCat

That first step is a real doozy!.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by dieciduej

RANT Alert!

15 minutes of fame!

The person who recorded the video posted on YouTube must have felt it was more important to get it on the web than to use their cell phone to call the various emergency numbers on the planet or to release the shutter button on their camera and poke the emergency button located at each end of the car. I guess it is a new generation where getting your 15 minutes of fame is more important than your fellow man.

JoeD
  by StevieC48

Joe D the news reported speaking with the person who took the video. She said she tried to tell the motorperson and they ignored her, so she had told a transit officer where they related the issue to the OCC.
  by Rbts Stn

dieciduej wrote:RANT Alert!

15 minutes of fame!

The person who recorded the video posted on YouTube must have felt it was more important to get it on the web than to use their cell phone to call the various emergency numbers on the planet or to release the shutter button on their camera and poke the emergency button located at each end of the car. I guess it is a new generation where getting your 15 minutes of fame is more important than your fellow man.

JoeD
Or perhaps the person was keeping folks away while documenting the incident. And I'm sure there was no one else onboard who could have made a phone call or hit the emergency button.

If I didn't know you better, I'd think you were blaming a potential victim here for the incident!
  by dieciduej

I guess my little training that I have had is to stop things as soon as possible. If I am not mistaken by pushing the red emergency call box button the train operator is to stop the train, where ever it maybe, and answer the call. That in turn gets the attention of the train operator and a response, they are to verbally respond and depending on the situation walk back to the car in question to investigate. I was also told in medical scenarios not to push the button until in a station otherwise this will cause a delay in the appropriate medical response, train is suppose to stop & stay and medical aid will come to you, which if your between Aquarium and Maverick that would take time.

I am not blaming the photographer for the incident, that blame will be strictly on the MBTA for either improper maintenance, failure of safety devices or policy and procedures. Again I am jaded by my little training in emergency scenarios not everyone is and I know it and reactions will be different. Luckily no one was stupid enough to go up to the door and take a peak out as the train was moving.

JoeD

Full Disclosure: I was involved with an incident of an Orange Line train going from Oak Grove southbound, I got on at Wellington, I realized as other passengers had too one of the side windows was completely missing. Several passengers got off, at Sullivan, and ran to the Train Operator and Door Attendant to warn them. Of course the doors closed and off we went. I poked the red button and we stopped at the crest of the Sullivan flyover, the TO answered and walked back to investigate and followed evacuation procedures and we backed into Sullivan. Th investigation showed that the TO & DA did not believe the people that approached them warning them of the situation.
  by wicked

Does procedure call for closing down the car, or shutting down the entire trainset?
  by StevieC48

Isolate the car and run it as a 5 car train, unless it affects the operation of the train, then get everyone off and go the shop.
  by Disney Guy

If someone had pulled the emergency lever, how long would it take to reset the train and get it going again AFTER appropriate action such as move all the passengers through the end door to the next car had been completed?

Did that car have an intercom so a passenger could talk to the operator without having to pull the emergency lever?

Would the best thing have been to just try to keep people away from the open door and let the train get to the next station and then move everyone to the next car (or get off and take the next train)?

I don't think calling 911 would have helped. The call would have to be relayed through too many third parties and T departments before it got to the train operator.
  by Finch

Disney Guy wrote:If someone had pulled the emergency lever, how long would it take to reset the train and get it going again AFTER appropriate action such as move all the passengers through the end door to the next car had been completed?

Did that car have an intercom so a passenger could talk to the operator without having to pull the emergency lever?
It takes only seconds to reset the passenger emergency valve...if you know how to do it. Then it would take a couple minutes to charge the train. But you never know what extenuating circumstances might complicate things.

All cars have a passenger emergency intercom which does not cause the train to enter emergency. It just calls the operator's cab so you can speak to the operator.
  by dieciduej

Disney Guy wrote:If someone had pulled the emergency lever, how long would it take to reset the train and get it going again AFTER appropriate action such as move all the passengers through the end door to the next car had been completed?
The problem with pulling the emergency level is if the train is at speed everyone will go flying, I've seen it happen!

JoeD
  by Robert Paniagua

And the 01800s need attention too when it comes to doors opening while in motion. A year or two ago, I was riding on such an 01800 train when the train was coming to a stop but when it was slowing down to stop, the doors opened! I don't know if the Train Conductor opened them too soon or the driver did. But it was a bit scary
  by wicked

According to the YouTube video, the car was running with an open door at a minimum from Quincy Center to Andrew. Someone should get fired over this.