Railroad Forums 

• Recent hiring practices?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#112411  by bearfandan

I just attended hiring sessions for both BNSF and NS in chicago and I got to say that it sure seems like they are trying to fill the minority quota. At least BNSF was trying to fill 15 people for a class of which 70 showed. NS on the other hand, only wanted 3 people and 91 people showed up. It sure seems like a huge waste of time and money for just 3 people. Needless to say, I was turned down for both. Any Human Resources folks here who can help me out with tips and secrets to getting hired?

#112444  by UPRR engineer

I think you would have to tell us more about yourself for anyone to help you out. As far as the UP goes where i work they hire a good mix of all types of people. If you didn't really seem to get along with the other folks there, it might have tipped them off that you dont seem to work well with others, which is a plus in the switch shack and out on train.

#112455  by frank502

HR types are a wierd bunch......I'm not sure what makes them tick. They will be making decisions on hiring & have zero knowledge of railroading.

In the RR industry they seem to like:
Military expierence
Ex cops
Ex truckers
Some post highschool education....tradeschool or some college.

RRs seem open to hiring older people & don't seem to engage in age discrimination.

They seem to dislike:
Anyone who has ever come up positive on a drug screen
Anyone who has a recent DUI
Those under 20 years old or lack of past employment.

If you give up some info about yourself,there are people on this board who may be able to give some advise.

A hint from me........
At one time I worked in the safety dept of a trucking co. I saw how hiring decisions were made. Many HR people allow personal feelings into the process even if they say they don't.
When you go to a hiring event....don't wear clothing that says anything on it. No sports teams...no nascar...nothing political...nothing religious AND nothing having to do with drinking/alcohol. Leave the Budwiser shirt at home.

Don't have body oder or bad breath. (I once rejected an applicant at a trucking co because of body oder & my boss backed me on it.)

Facial hair should be neatly trimmed...otherwise be clean shaven. Hair should be a reasonable length & neatly trimmed/combed.

When you look presentable you are showing respect for those doing the hiring & the process.
 #112633  by Avro Arrow

bearfandan wrote:I just attended hiring sessions for both BNSF and NS in chicago and I got to say that it sure seems like they are trying to fill the minority quota. At least BNSF was trying to fill 15 people for a class of which 70 showed. NS on the other hand, only wanted 3 people and 91 people showed up. It sure seems like a huge waste of time and money for just 3 people. Needless to say, I was turned down for both. Any Human Resources folks here who can help me out with tips and secrets to getting hired?
You are right about NS liking to appear very, very "affirmative action."

Anyway, they're a strange and also awful company to work for. Stick with BNSF.

#113071  by bearfandan

Avro Arrow, why do you say that NS is a bad company to work for?

#113103  by SteelWheels21

Just that whole not having a guarantee for the extra board situation would steer me away from NS.

#113209  by CSX Conductor

frank502 wrote: They will be making decisions on hiring & have zero knowledge of railroading.
Sounds like the present-day railroad management in general to me. :(

#113212  by CSX Conductor

frank502 wrote: They seem to dislike:
Anyone who has ever come up positive on a drug screen
Anyone who has a recent DUI
Those under 20 years old or lack of past employment.
Well, we are talking about the safety of many others, so drugs are definately not something to risk.

DUI: if one was tomake the choice to get behind the wheel of a 2 ton car, would they be likely to climb aboard a 230,000lb locomotive with alcohol in their system?!?

Usually people who are very young never had a real job and cannot handle the responsibilties involved. Especially working outside in the elements, workng different hours of the day at all times, etc.

#114432  by Engineer Spike

Those points are all valid. The affirmative action policy is usually biggest near a big city. When I worked on BN, there was a diversity committee in Chicago. There were never any in the smaller places. Out in the country there is less of a minority population. They always try to fill the quotas. I do think that every one ought to have a fair shot. Go out to Galesburg, Ft. Madison, or La Crosse to hire out. When your seniority lets you, you can move back to Chicago.
Make sure that you take the advice of the other threads as to what they look for. If you have what it takes, that good luck.

#114507  by Avro Arrow

bearfandan wrote:Avro Arrow, why do you say that NS is a bad company to work for?
In addition to what SteelWheels said, they're also very anti-employee. They get off to firing trainmen, even moreso than other lines. For a while, it was difficult and sometimes impossible to buy job insurance if you worked for them, because the chance of you getting fired was so great.

#114571  by frank502

I do think that every one ought to have a fair shot.
So do I but I disagree with quotas.

As far as NS: I have been told that they have been using radio ads in the Harrisburg PA area to attract people. I'm not 100% sure of this. If this is true,it speaks for itself. That would be stooping to the level of the trucking industry.

I know a guy who has worked for NS & did carry job insurance. He now works for NJ Transit & likes it much better.

#114579  by JasonA

NS runs constant ads for Elkart and Chicago here in NW Indiana.

Years ago (10) I made it to the final cut at one of their hiring sessions. To me, it didn't look like they wanted to hire anyone. They acted like they were there because they were told to be.