• Rebuilt MARC IIB Single Levels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

At least 3 more rebuilt (the ones with the bright LED lights and blue car numbers) MARC IIB single level cars have been delivered by Bombardier and have been sitting in the MARC yard since Friday. This delivery is notable since it includes the first rebuilt cab car-7761. While all 3 cars are easily noticeable thanks to their obviously brand new trucks and other aforementioned features, 7761 sticks out like a sore thumb since the paint design on the cab end is identical to that of the Kawasaki bilevels in that it has the blue/orange "tiger stripes" strip with the MARC logo below.

Also, 7753 has been repainted with an identical paint scheme to 7761, although it has not been rebuilt. Everything is still the same (it was on my Camden train this morning) except for the paint. So maybe it was sent to New York just to be painted and sent back with the other 3. A lot of the single levels cars have fading paint, but IIRC the paint on 7753 was very faded.
  by realtype

There were actually 4 reuilt cars returned to MARC, not 3. Also, in addition to non-rebuilt 7753 getting a new paint scheme, 7750, which was on my Camden train this morning, also has one and it also isn't rebuilt. My express train this morning had two extra cars, and the conductor menionted that one of them was getting rehabbed.

MARC 7750

Larger Sizes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N0 ... 2/sizes/l/
  by MACTRAXX

Realtype: Call it a COLOR SCHEME-You can NOT call MARC's colors a "Paint Scheme" when those MARC cars do not have one speck of paint on them.
This is a personal pet peeve towards rail car descriptions I have. (End of comment)
I like the blue/orange colors that MARC uses and those "tiger stripes" look fine to me! MACTRAXX
  by realtype

MACTRAXX wrote:Realtype: Call it a COLOR SCHEME-You can NOT call MARC's colors a "Paint Scheme" when those MARC cars do not have one speck of paint on them.
This is a personal pet peeve towards rail car descriptions I have. (End of comment)
I like the blue/orange colors that MARC uses and those "tiger stripes" look fine to me! MACTRAXX
Thanks for the clarification. Won't happen again. :-D

But how do they add the er, "color" to the train? I always thought that they stenciled paint on. I know some cars, which are totally covered in "color" like UTA's Frontrunner bilevels, are "wrapped."
  by MACTRAXX

Realtype: Those colors used on MARC equipment are usually pre-printed striping that is applied similar to a sticker.
Wraps are usually large pre-printed sheets that are applied to a railcar again like a sticker but in this case it "wraps" the entire side or sides of the railcar.
On MARC only locomotives are painted as far as I know-MACTRAXX
  by HokieNav

Gallery cars are painted as well.