Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I was finally lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" and this morning I was thumbing through the locomotive rosters when I noticed an interesting footnote regarding some of the rebuilds. Mr. Scala indicates that a number of the units, beginning with 619, were stripped to the bare bones and rebuilt from the ground up, which was not so much of a surprise. What struck me as interesting is that he adds that these units which got the total rebuild (and there were not many) also had their traditional control stands replaced with GP38-2 control stands! I have to imagine this would have been quite an interesting sight to behold; does anyone have pictures or memories of having been in the cab of one of these units?

by DutchRailnut

The main difference would be the 24RL brakestand (in front of engineer)removed with a 26R brake incorporated in conrol stand.
this puts all controls at left hand of engineer just like later FL9's and F10's
  by kro52

Greetings All,
Just to mention that when we rebuilt 619,620, we fabricated a "stunted" version of the GP38-2 control stand. The stand had no area for the 26L auto/ind brake valves. We simplifed the exsisting 24RL brake system to suit our requirements. The 24RL stand was left in front of the engineer.
The first power pack to have 26L installed was 605.

KRO52