Railroad Forums 

• Reagan tribute?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#24719  by 7 Train

How will Amtrak honor President Reagan? I know the US Postal Service and most other federal agencies will be closed on Friday. Will Amtrak have all trains pause for a moment of silence of something? (LIRR did that on September 11, 2002.)

#24724  by SCL 4900

How 'bout, in fitting "tribute" to all of the presidential support (not just Reagan's, of course) it has enjoyed over all these years....

Amtrak should just park all of its equipment at (or near) Union Station, lock the doors, and go home.

#24731  by mattfels

Better idea: naming rights. Example: "Ronald Reagan-St. Louis Rail Passenger Station."

Satisfies the stated goal of the Ronald Reagan Legacy Project: "naming at least one notable public landmark in each state and all 3067 counties after the 40th president."

#24736  by updrumcorpsguy

I think we've already gone a bit over-the-top in the mourning department. I have nothing against Reagan - I even campaigned for him in high school - but a week? Even Kennedy was buried just a few days after his assassination.

Besides, the Starlight and Sunset will most likely be stopped anyway ;-)

#24745  by SCL 4900

Agreed that we have way overdone the Reagan hero-worship thing...

but heck, if renaming Washington Union Station as "Reagan Union Station" would make it a national shrine (and sanctify its occupants)...
hey, maybe we're onto something here.

If the Great Communicator could rewrite history with his folksy "aw-shucks" rhetorical flourish, maybe we could rewrite his legacy, in honor of his (UP Domeliner-era) passenger train advocacy. And, haven't we all seen the footage of him whistlestopping on the back platform of the Ferdinand Magellan, in those network news tributes?

That's it, instant history revision, Reagan the railfan.
 #24747  by PDT009

I'm not so sure naming a train station after a president which already has an airport named for him is a good idea. Besides, it might be appropriate to rename a type of building, structure or landmark which Reagan was closely related. A performing arts center perhaps? Maybe something symbolic like a bridge?
I can imagine what the former PATCO employees thought about the airport renaming

#24755  by mattfels

Washington Union Station? I wasn't even talking about St. Louis Union Station.
 #24756  by Gilbert B Norman

Sunday's New York Times had a three page obit/biography on President Reagan's life.

In common with any world leader whose death could be considered noteworthy, the Times had prepared this "obitography" well in advance.

Of interest, while it obviously addressed his underlying philosophy or reducing the government's influence in daily life, not one mention was made of the early first term initiative to, very simply, eliminate Amtrak.

Lest we forget, the initiative did not contemplate simply privatizing or localizing it. the initiative simply was el;iminate it with the objective of making sure there were fewer intercity passenger trains than there are presently in Mexico.
 #24760  by updrumcorpsguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Sunday's New York Times had a three page obit/biography on President Reagan's life.

In common with any world leader whose death could be considered noteworthy, the Times had prepared this "obitography" well in advance.

Of interest, while it obviously addressed his underlying philosophy or reducing the government's influence in daily life, not one mention was made of the early first term initiative to, very simply, eliminate Amtrak.

Lest we forget, the initiative did not contemplate simply privatizing or localizing it. the initiative simply was el;iminate it with the objective of making sure there were fewer intercity passenger trains than there are presently in Mexico.
I remember that - and that was one of the main reasons that my campaigning for him stopped in high school ;-)

#24771  by SCL 4900

Matt,

Yes, actually I DO know the difference between WAS and STL (or St. Louis Union Station, for that matter).

But your Legacy citation did say every state, and I thought that might include a Federal District or two, as well.

Seriously, my personal opinion of naming public facilities for political figures (outside of bona fide memorials and monuments) is that it is usually a fairly hollow gesture.

But my point is this: if, by associating by name Amtrak's HQ building with the apparently admired legacy of our dear departed president, we also help ensure Amtrak's fortunes (admittedly, a flimsy proposition) I'm all for it.

#24777  by JFB

WUS is not Amtrak's HQ. But were memorialists to re-christen the station, it could as easily become the Ronald Regan National Visitors' Center--with ample parking in the rear.
Last edited by JFB on Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #24784  by Gilbert B Norman

If Wash Union Station (60 Mass) is NOT Amtrak HQ, sure like to know where they are.

On A-Day, HQ was 955 L E'nfant Plaza North, SW, circa 1977, they were moved to 400 N Capitol (the building was shown in the movie FIST). When Union Station renovation was completed during 1989, the HQ was moved there, although there still may be some offices maintained at 400N.

#24792  by JFB

Thanks for the correction.

Make that Ronald Reagan National Visitors' Center with ample parking and office space for rent.

#24796  by updrumcorpsguy

Having been one of the few who visited the "National Visitor's Center" back during it's first Union Station stay (and then only because my dad loved to drag us to places like that) , I would only agree if they bring back the mushrooms and the big hole in the center of the waiting room! ;-)
 #24798  by Gilbert B Norman

Big Hole in the ground, the leaky roof, the Dog Pound style "train station" behind; I too was there, Mr. Drumcorps.

What a waste!!!

Lest we forget, until "enligthened" thinking came along, it could have easily been "same same Old Penn".