• RE: Locked threads

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

[quote="F3A]I knew of no search. Did any of you?[/quote]

Nope.

And no, it's not a democracy. The owners pay for this site, and they get to set the rules on how things will be done.

That being said, it seems to me, on the other hand, that if a particular individual or individuals seem to "get things stirred up", they get the warning by PM, and if it continues they get the boot.

As to Irish Chieftain's remark about this forum being narrow in focus, I absolutely agree that only railroads should be topics; which leads me to wonder why we have the trackless trolley thread at the MBTA forum. The name even got changed to highlight railroads.

by Irish Chieftain

Joe G and Rockingham Racer both wrote:The owners pay for this site
Not entirely. Donations can be made via PayPal or check.

by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for that clarification. It's news to me that donations are possible. Maybe a more prominent link could be put up for those of us who'd like to donate..... :wink:

by F3A

Rockingham Racer wrote:Nope.

And no, it's not a democracy. The owners pay for this site, and they get to set the rules on how things will be done.
OK, I'll buy that. But at the very least, why could we not have heard that there was going to be a vacancy for the moderator position being vacated by GBN, so that others (not me, I said "others") could have at least expressed an interest in applying? Furthermore, I'm not so certain that the two gentlemen "selected" were the best choice for the Amtrak Forum.

And why did we need two replacement moderators for GBN? I don't see the need for three moderators on the Amtrak Forum. Do you?

There's still too many unanswered questions here. I don't believe the moderator changeover on the Amtrak Forum was done in fairness (or openess) to other railroad.net participants.

I'm expressing my opinion as a participant on these forums.

by Irish Chieftain

Prior post on mod selection.

by HoggerKen

This venue can be considered a friendly dictatorship, most boards are. However, I have never had my words changed by those moderators or owners save two exceptions, here and TrainOders.kom. Perception is a double edged sword, on one side you promote civility and inappropriate comments, on the other, you must permit folks to view their thoughts in their own words.

Tho' the final choice in moderators is up to the owner, and or a committee chosen to find a replacement, somehow, users thoughts ought to have some weight on the matter. I suppose it could turn out to be a complicated undertaking. Perhaps giving new Mods a probation period, and see how they work out.

Just random thoughts from an Iowa Hoghead.

by F3A

Otto VonDrak: "Moderators are volunteers from the RAILROAD.NET community. You have to demonstrate that you are a knowledgable and responsible person and can handle your duties with diligence. "

When were "volunteers" from the railroad.net community given the opportunity to apply for the Amtrak Forum moderator position? I don't recall ever seeing a notice going out.

Was there undue influence given to the selection of two "gentlemen" who became the replacement moderators?

More unanswered questions.

by David Benton

i say , give them time to settle in . GBN was a hard act to follow , his 2 years evolved to the point where he knew exactly when to intervene .
but if i recall , when he first started , there were also some complaints of too much editing and deleting .

Having said that , i do hope that we are able to continue with the style of discussion that was possible under GBN . Amtrak , by its political nature and nationwide operation , does invite discussion not directly related to operations and current condition.

by pablo

I don't know what the fuss is about. Admittedly, I didn't know about the new moderator position, but so what? Also admittedly, I don't cruise that board much, since I like to deal with railroads that have a future. Actually, that was a low blow...I'm just kidding.

I say delete F3A's posts for his insolence. Or give him detention. It works where I work. Kids never act up after getting a detention.

Dave Becker

by F3A

pablo wrote:I don't know what the fuss is about. Admittedly, I didn't know about the new moderator position, but so what? Also admittedly, I don't cruise that board much, since I like to deal with railroads that have a future. Actually, that was a low blow...I'm just kidding.

I say delete F3A's posts for his insolence. Or give him detention. It works where I work. Kids never act up after getting a detention.

Dave Becker
Excuse me?

I 've as much right to express my opinion as the next person. And I resent your suggestion that my comments be censored from this forum. Just who do you think you are anyway?

by pablo

Actually, that last paragraph was a complete joke, which, although perhaps hard to discern off the bat, should have been able to be seen by my suggestion that any student getting a detention would never misbehave again.

By no means do I support deleting your post, nor giving you a detention. I suspect you are too old to serve one anyway.

My humblest and most sincere apologies.

Dave Becker

by F3A

pablo wrote:Actually, that last paragraph was a complete joke, which, although perhaps hard to discern off the bat, should have been able to be seen by my suggestion that any student getting a detention would never misbehave again.

By no means do I support deleting your post, nor giving you a detention. I suspect you are too old to serve one anyway.

My humblest and most sincere apologies.

Dave Becker
There are enough problems with rampant censorship onsgoing with the Amtrak Forum/ The last thing I need is tongue-in-cheek statements.

by pablo

You might need to disable your sarcasm filter. Of course, if anyone knew *who* you were, perhaps that would help....

Dave Becker

by F3A

pablo wrote:You might need to disable your sarcasm filter. Of course, if anyone knew *who* you were, perhaps that would help....

Dave Becker
I'll keep that in mind......

In the meantime I'd watch out for the newly "appointed Amtrak Forum "Moderators"....

by pablo

OK, in the interest of saying it here, since I don't think a PM gives me that much space...

1. I understand your unhappiness about the fact that people were chosen, rather than volunteering, for the Moderator positions. If you would, please help me understand why you are so angry about this?

2. I think the outgoing moderator locked quite a few threads too. Why the push now, as opposed to then?

This is honest interest, since I am not a moderator, and I don't "Cruise" the Amtrak forum much. Thanks, whether you wish to answer me in depth or not.

Dave Becker