• Railroad historian and photographer John J. Scala has passed

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Alcoman

I knew John well as many of us did for his Colorful Calendars and Long Island Railroad books. Ironically, he and I knew each other before we met when it was discovered we both attended the same school on Long Island only doors away from each other. He was a good friend and one of the best slide photographers I have known. I just saw John 2 years ago when he came up to Albany,NY to see me.He just started his cancer treatments then and seemed to do fine. He was a regular GTE show dealer and he and I would have many chats while he was there.
He is missed already. Rest in Peace my friend......
John Mech

Subject: John Scala - WNBC traffic reporter Lauren Scala

Yesterday afternoon I lost my father. For the past 373 days, I have woke up every morning with a pit in the depths of my stomach dreading this moment. It was exactly that many days ago that I stood in front of a team of neurosurgeons at Stony Brook Hospital as they diagnosed my 64 yr old Dad with glioblastoma multiforme, an aggressive terminal brain cancer. Today I held his hand for the last time just hours after receiving the call that he had passed rather suddenly.

I could tell you how awful it all was, how exhausting, how difficult it was to hide the pain and to put a smile on my face everyday when all I wanted to do was hide... but all of that is NOTHING compared to what I had watch him endure for this disease that there is no cure for. I will focus on the wonderful memories and on the positive lessons I learned from him and from this experience because life makes us no promises.

My Dad, John Scala, was funny, adventurous, creative, and he gave the best advice. He was a man that was never afraid to cry and he gave me more hugs in my 31 years than some people get in double that amount of time. He once said that the only reason he went through with treatment was because he made a vow to be my father and he needed to be here for me and my brother. He will ALWAYS be my hero and words cannot describe just how much I am going to miss him.
  by Otto Vondrak

I was first introduced to John Scala back when he was working on "Diesels to Park Avenue" for Snopeck and LaMay. John was a close friend and I learned a lot about photography from him. We both shared common interests in passenger trains, collecting timetables, and publishing. Besides being a prolific photographer, author, and publisher, John was also a Vietnam vet and later became an EMT for Syosset. The last time I got to see him was a year ago for dinner before I moved upstate. I have a flood of memories and a lot more to say, but right now, I really miss my friend.

-otto-
  by SwingMan

Very sad to hear this. John was a great guy and it was always a pleasure talking to him. He also did amazing work on multiple calendars, quality that can't hardly be matched. Coincidentally I was actually thinking of him today, then I see this..

RIP John
  by baileyjet2000

I knew this day was coming but I did not want to accept the fact that my best friend was going to leave us. John and I have been friends for over 30 years since the first time I met him at Willis Hobbies. It was there that we realized that we both had an affinity for all things LIRR. Since that time we have had many ventures together and lots of fun. When I moved from NY to Chicago in 1984, John gave me a copy of his book "Diesels Of The Sunrise Trail" in it he wrote the following "Ray, the geography will not upset the friendship". This has held true for all these years and will not diminish now that your gone. I will miss you my brother. god bless you on your journey.

Love your brother, Ray
  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/LIST%20Cale ... endars.htm
LIST Chapter Calendars - Just a small part of the great body of information, history, photography, and gracious sharing of time, material, and knowledge. Thank you, John, for your kindness and inspiration. It has been an honor to know you.
  by nyandw

It is with great sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our father, John Scala aka "The Chief." After an extremely difficult year-long battle with brain cancer he slipped away yesterday while in hospice care at the VA Hospital in Northport, Long Island. It was not an easy fight and he really gave it his all, but there is no cure for glioblastoma, the type of cancer he had. He went in peace and was not in pain. We have included the information below for his services for anyone that would like to pay their respects. If you cannot attend but would like to share a story about a memory of our Dad or about your friendship, please do. We welcome that wholeheartedly.

Wake:
Friday 2-5pm & 7-9pm
Cassidy Funeral Home
156 Willis Ave
Mineola, NY 11501

Funeral Mass:
Saturday at 9:45am
Corpus Christi Church
155 Garfield Ave
Mineola, NY 11501

Burial to follow:
St. Charles Cemetery
Farmingdale, NY

Regards,
Lauren Scala & Michael Scala

Yesterday we lost railroad book publisher, producer and author John Scala, owner of Weekend Chief Publishing. John was a regular at the local train shows. He published several significant books, and built a niche in producing railroad calendars for historical societies. He was perhaps one of the biggest fans of the diesel-era Long Island Rail Road, having once worked for the LIRR. And in his publishing and photography he liked to continue many traditions in the look and layout of his offerings.

But nothing I could write compares with what his daughter, Lauran Scala, a traffic reporter for WNBC, wrote this morning:

"Yesterday afternoon I lost my father. For the past 373 days, I have woke up every morning with a pit in the depths of my stomach dreading this moment. It was exactly that many days ago that I stood in front of a team of neurosurgeons at Stony Brook Hospital as they diagnosed my 64 yr old Dad with glioblastoma multiforme, an aggressive terminal brain cancer. Today I held his hand for the last time just hours after receiving the call that he had passed rather suddenly.

"I could tell you how awful it all was, how exhausting, how difficult it was to hide the pain and to put a smile on my face everyday when all I wanted to do was hide... but all of that is NOTHING compared to what I had watch him endure for this disease that there is no cure for. I will focus on the wonderful memories and on the positive lessons I learned from him and from this experience because life makes us no promises.

"My Dad, John Scala, was funny, adventurous, creative, and he gave the best advice. He was a man that was never afraid to cry and he gave me more hugs in my 31 years than some people get in double that amount of time. He once said that the only reason he went through with treatment was because he made a vow to be my father and he needed to be here for me and my brother. He will ALWAYS be my hero and words cannot describe just how much I am going to miss him."

John has been missed over the past couple of years when he was no longer attending shows or accepting book or calendar orders. He accomplished many things in his life, and we're glad his suffering is over. He was a good friend. Mike Del Vecchio

I received this via email, but wanted to share with all of you.
  by Backshophoss

John,as the head of Weekend Chief publishing helped many authors get their books published and sold.
He will be missed. May he rest in peace.
  by mp15ac

I had the great pleasure of knowing "The Weekend Chief" for over thirty years, first when I worked at Right Track Hobbies, and then when I worked at Willis Hobbies. He was a terrific person, always friendly and very knowledgeable. He always valued input from others about the projects he was working on. He will be missed by all of us.

Rest in peace my friend. :(

Stuart
  by MADDOG

Just about anyone interested in railroads here on Long Island knew John and have fond memories of him.
We, at the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum send our condolences to his family and to all of his friends in the railroad community. He befriended us many years ago.
We mourn his passing but should be happy that we got a chance to share in his life.
MADDOG
  by LIRR272

I met John a while ago at Willis and at several other train shows. I always looked forward to purchasing his calenders and to this day still have the past issues. His work will be missed by all who enjoyed it. He will be missed by those who knew him personally.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I learned of John Scala's passing thanks literally to this topic here and I agree with all here is that he will be missed by those
who knew him that had an interest in the LIRR as I also do and I also remember that he was a good photographer and his "Weekend Chief"
publications like his calendars will be also missed...

I remember asking him if he ever would write an update to his well-known book "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" and he told me because of
the large cost and possible low sales number that he would not even though the thought had crossed his mind over time...

Rest in peace,John

MACTRAXX
  by keithsy

He came to mind in recent days. He and I were co-workers. He was the nicest man ever to meet. He had me in his home on many a day. All the nicest words in the English lexicon can not describe him. I will pray for his repose and his family's comfort. Grant him rest eternal. May he rest in peace. AMEN. Rise and shine in glory.