• Railfanning and police at NJT Stations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by trainfreak

Hello forum. Im posting here to ask a question. Has anyone here gotten questioned by NJT cops for railfanning and taking photos from the platforms at stations?

by nick11a

Not me yet. I've gotten a lot of dirty and strange looks from people though.

And yes, some people here have been questioned by cops and removed from an NJT train for photographing trains.

by transit383

I've only been bothered at Hoboken Terminal. I was photographing locomotives on the west end of the platforms, when a police officer whistled to me from a few platforms over and then motioned for me to get back towards the waiting area. I complied.

As far as at stations, I always stay on the station platforms (or near the adjacent grade crossing if applicable). Never had a problem (knock on wood).

by metman499

I've yet to be hasseled by them. Take some pictures at Cranford. They were also very nice to me while taking pictures on what was techincally tresspassing on the finnal run of the PCCs. They just made sure we stayed safe and did remove somebody who did not respect them.
  by chuchubob

I've railfanned at Newark, Princeton Juncton, Hamilton, and Trenton on the NEC. I was questioned once at PJ when I photographed a Dinky from the grade crossing in the parking lot

http://community.webshots.com/photo/495 ... 8717qWrQWb

and then returned to the NEC platform to see an idiot on the right-of-way just west of the station photographing Amtrak trains from close range. When the police arrived they questioned me because I was the one they saw with a camera. I told them about the jerk on the track and they left me alone.

by trainfreak

Im thinking about going up to the Port Jervis station to catch the evening rush between 6 and 8 maybe later. I dont know when im going to go. Im just hoping i wont get hassled by the cops for photographing trains. But if i do ill just leave being that i live about 20 minutes away. So when i go (hopefully tomorrow night or a night next week) i hope i dont get hasseled.

by nick11a

I do a lot of photographing but never put my life in jepoardy. I wanna live. Those railbuffs who go tresspassing and do things they should not do really urk me because they put a bad name on such a respectable hobby.

by nick11a

Hehe. Wow. I guess it has changed Bob!

I haven't had the chance to get up there yet, but I hope to soon.

by njt4172

transit383,

I thought I remember someone saying that you can easily get a photography permit in Hoboken terminal for photographing trains, No?....I'm sure if that is the case then nobody can kick you out as long as you show the cops the permit and your on public property!

by nick11a

Yeah, I think it is like 20 or 30 bucks. Well worth it if you like walking down the platforms to photograph engines. I'm not sure how long it is valid for though. A month maybe?

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Metuchen Station, conductor said he'd call the gumshoes...

This was last November.

by njt4172

Nick,

Thanks, but that sucks if it is only available for a month. If it was for a year then I'd say it is well worth it! Other then that I might just take my chances......

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Thanks, but that sucks if it is only available for a month. If it was for a year then I'd say it is well worth it! Other then that I might just take my chances......

Steve
Me too.

by transit383

Black River wrote:Metuchen Station, conductor said he'd call the gumshoes...

This was last November.
Usually the crews either don't say anything or shoot you a dirty look. The only time they kind of get annoyed is when they think you're boarding and you're really not, thus delaying the train.

Crew: "Board the train down here."
Railfan: "No sir, I'm just here to watch the train."
Crew then gives two to go

This has happened to me on numerous occasions. In fact, one time at Montclair Heights, the crew began talking to each other about their railfan buddies after the above situation happened.

"Yeah, my son does that a lot, goes out to watch trains"
"Oh yeah? I've got a friend that does that too"
[doors close]