• Railfan Trip to the Beaches of Rock and Long

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMT

A planned Friday evening excursion to Long Beach via the A Train and N33 bus is planned for a Friday evening in August. Mr. T and I usually coordinate these via private emails, so email me or Mr. T through the railroad.net 'private mail' icon at the bottom of this posting.

This is a trip that starts approximately 5:00 pm from Penn Station with a stop-off/pick up point at Jay Street. Always meeting at the T/O position on the platform. We take a Far Rockaway-bound A train to the last stop at Mott and transfer to the N33. From there it's a 15 minute ride to Long Beach train station. Dinner will either be at an establishment on the Boardwalk or at the Sui Szechuan Restaurant on Park Ave across from the mall. Good food and good conversation is always guarranteed!

For the return trip to Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens/LI, this can be done via a return to the A train, taking the Long Beach branch of LIRR or via local bus connections to points north and east in Nassau County.

Contact me for more details.

by BMT

IMPORTANT INFO: The trip is scheduled for next Friday evening, August 5th.

First meeting location: 5:00 pm 34th Street/Penn Station southbound 'A' Train platform at Motorman's position (1st car).

Second location: 6:00 pm at Jay Street/Boro Hall Station, southbound ' A' Train platform, head end.

All other aspects of the trip remain the same as in the above intinerary.

by Mr rt

BTW, at Jay strret there are a bunch of places to hang out until 6 PM, e.g. shopping, eaterys.
A group of us usually go to the Burger King one block away from Jay.

by BMT

Reminder: dinner will be at the Sui Szechaun Restaurant in long Beach. The 'Torqouise on the Boardwalk' is unfortunately closed (and has been since last year).

Come and join the railfan company on an excursion to the beaches of Rock and Long!

by LI Loco

The Turquoise Lounge had become a public nuisance, attracting a rowdy crowd that was making things unpleasant for beach goers and boardwalk strollers.

Sui Szechuan has decent Chinese food. Hope you had a good trip and a good meal.

by BMT

Too bad about The Turquoise, since Mr.T and I (with others) enjoyed a brew and burger while listening to some local bands on a hot, summer Friday evening (great way to end the work-week).

We had heard rumors that they had perhaps knowingly (or unknowingly) served minors and that's what put the 'nail in the coffin' for them. :(

Last night's group was small, but we had a good time....eat over at Sui's Szechaun and then walked the boardwalk while enjoying a stogie....not a bad evening at all, and there was no thunderstorm to ruin it (as I heard from weather reports earlier in the day). Might do another trip sometime shortly after Labor Day.

by Mr rt

"... The Turquoise Lounge had become a public nuisance, attracting a rowdy crowd that was making things unpleasant for beach goers and boardwalk strollers ..."

At the end the bands that they got to play there were loud & that's about all.
Next door was coffee shop kind of place.
Ate there with a family several times, food was OK.

At Point Lookout I've found a place called Olive Oil's.
Pizza on one side, upscale dinning on the other.
N-O-T on the beach :-( but otherwise very nice.