Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

One of our rail/transit fans created a petition on the spreading Photo ban at:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/notransitpicban
please read it and consider signing it, this photoban could spread to freight railroads or and LIRR/MNCR as well.
and what would be next ?? the shut down of rail forums ??

by DogBert

I just signed it. Even Mayor Bloomburg called the idea of a ban pretty stupid. If a terrorist wants information, they have to go no further than a computer. Websites have photos of nearly every aspects of railroading. If the ban goes through, I would not doubt that the next still will be the banning of websites like this one.

It's truely sad and pathetic that the government has basically decided that it is best to replace the american flag with a white one, and to wave it as much as possible. By taking away the rights of the people, they are giving in to the terrorists, who must be laughing pretty hard right about now.

We photographers and fans are a volunteer force - we are eyes and ears that will notify authorities when we see something wrong, and are smart enough to know when something really DOES look out of place. If anything, they should be praising us for out efforts and reducing our taxes for being model citzens.

I'm going to keep on photographing, ban or not - If they want me to stop they're going to have to take my camera from my cold dead hands.

by M1 9147

Thanks Jaap, and I just signed it, and I hope all of you follow suit in this.

by lirrmike

I have also signed it.
  by alchemist

Me too. How come we don't have an "extremely angry" emoticon when polite words fail?
  by Head-end View

As one petition signer pointed out, railfans are extra eyes on the railroad. A few months back the train I was boarding came into the station with no headlights on. I informed the conductor, who went out on the platform to see for himself, and then told the engineer. After the engineer reset the circuit breaker, he stuck his head out of the cab door and thanked me for having pointed out the problem.

A good example of railfans and train crews being on the "same team".

by badneighbor

signed on too, maybe cameras should be banned in the Iraqi prisons too, the soldiers photos caused more trouble for our nation than a photo of a rusty old MP15.

by JoeLIRR

So true, Common sence, if u dont want to get the shit handed to u dont take/leave any evidance. im suprised the soldiers dident think the abuse out the right way, thats part of why they're getting busted.

God Bless The U.S.A.

by the missing link

who wants to "take back"bear mountain bridge?they slipped a ban on that

by AmtrakPhill629

I signed the petition. I believe that Photography is a hobby not a crime

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I agree that railfans should be allowed to take photos. You have to understand though that sometimes the photos or info that railfans want might raise some eyebrows...here is one for example (this is an actual request from one of the posters)

I know this is asking alot, but Im doing a project for school and I would like to know the following information:

1- LIRR Daily Weekday Ridership (Line-By-Line)
2- LIRR Daily Saturday Ridership (Line-By-Line)
3- LIRR Daily Sunday Ridership (Line-By-Line)
4- An estimate of the volume of passengers using each station on the Main Line (ex # of people that get on at Hollis on an avg. weekday and weekend)
I would like this information Jamaica through Ronkonkoma & Port Jefferson( all stations)
5- Any other significant information on LIRR ridership

Thanks

This is probably just an innocent request. Think about it though...a terrorist might want to know this information too..... :(

by NHRR WTBY

LirrConductor wrote: This is probably just an innocent request. Think about it though...a terrorist might want to know this information too..... :(
Why? If he's going to go for the biggest shock value, he'll hit NYP at 8 AM or 5 PM, or let one go in the East River Tunnel. What terrorist cares how many people get on at Carle Place on Saturday afternoon?

by Otto Vondrak

OK, I think we've worn out this thread.

-otto-