Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by benltrain

How many R142s, R143s, and R160s are in one group (meaning a cab on each end of the group).

by JFB

In revenue service: 5 for the 142s; 4 for the 143s and 160s. Two sets of each per train.

The number per set is limited on the 142s because the non-cab cars only have one powered truck each. I think the upper limit is 9 (2 cab, 7 non-cab), though you wouldn't see that in regular service. Don't know about the 143 and 146, but I suspect the same is true proportionally (ie 6 or 7 maximum).

by Love Train

JFB wrote:In revenue service: 5 for the 142s; 4 for the 143s and 160s. Two sets of each per train.

The number per set is limited on the 142s because the non-cab cars only have one powered truck each. I think the upper limit is 9 (2 cab, 7 non-cab), though you wouldn't see that in regular service. Don't know about the 143 and 146, but I suspect the same is true proportionally (ie 6 or 7 maximum).
That is mostly correct.

However, it is the R160As only that have 4 cars per set. The R160Bs, which just started revenue service testing on the N line (I assume that's what line it will run on in full revenue service, at least to start), have 5 cars per set. The R160As are in 4 car sets because the Eastern Division (J/M/Z/L) lines, where the R160As are going (I don't know which ones exactly) allow no more than 480 ft of train to platform.

A few R160As are in 5 car sets. (These will not be going to the Eastern Division, but most likely Jamaica Yard for extra G line service.)

by JFB

Yep, that was me thinking that all ex-BMT/IND lines run 8 cars maximum. Can you tell I'm an IRT rider?

Thanks for the correction.

by Mr. Harlem Line

Love Train wrote:
JFB wrote:In revenue service: 5 for the 142s; 4 for the 143s and 160s. Two sets of each per train.

That is mostly correct.

However, it is the R160As only that have 4 cars per set. The R160Bs, which just started revenue service testing on the N line (I assume that's what line it will run on in full revenue service, at least to start), have 5 cars per set. The R160As are in 4 car sets because the Eastern Division (J/M/Z/L) lines, where the R160As are going (I don't know which ones exactly) allow no more than 480 ft of train to platform.

A few R160As are in 5 car sets. (These will not be going to the Eastern Division, but most likely Jamaica Yard for extra G line service.)
I've heard from another board that the R160As that are in 5-car sets won't be going to the G line, but will be going to the CI Yard, to go along with the R160Bs that are going there, and whatever cars the R160s will displace will end up at Jamaica, possibly R32s.

by Love Train

Mr. Harlem Line wrote:
Love Train wrote:

That is mostly correct.

I've heard from another board that the R160As that are in 5-car sets won't be going to the G line, but will be going to the CI Yard, to go along with the R160Bs that are going there, and whatever cars the R160s will displace will end up at Jamaica, possibly R32s.
Huh, that's news to me. Well, one way or another, Jamaica Yard needs more cars.