Railroad Forums 

• R1 airport train

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1638217  by Literalman

Today I saw an ad on the ceiling of a Septa Regional Rail train. It was about the "R1 Airport Train." I think that ads on the ceiling are a recent thing, introduced long after the R- line designations were dropped. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I tried to find an existing thread about the R- designations, but either the search results were too general (everything containing the word "designation") or a computer reply that "R1" is too common to use for a search term, so mods please combine this with any existing appropriate thread. Thank you.
 #1638218  by MACTRAXX

SD: On-ceiling advertisements in MU cars about the SEPTA Airport Line have been used for at least a decade...
When you have a "captive audience" using SEPTA RRD those ads can make you "look up'... :wink:

The SEPTA Forum ARCHIVES are your friend in this inquiry...We had a long-term discussion about SEPTA
discontinuing the R-route designations back around 2010 when the changes were implemented...
Do you have any specific question in mind about the R-routes?
See:
close-to-the-end-of-the-rs-t68904.html
(25 pages 361 posts - February 3, 2010 to November 26, 2011)

On a personal note I joined Railroad.Net 19 years ago today - February 7, 2005
One of the best benefits of the Forums is having almost 20 years of information saved and available...
The RR.Net Archives go back to March 11-12, 2004 when the "revival" of Railroad.Net began service...
This is something I feel that far too many site members take for granted to research any given topic
over time during my 19 years as an active RR.Net member...MACTRAXX
 #1638220  by JeffK

I was able to find these two links (while giving thanks to Google's assistance fixing my failed attempts to spell Professor Vuchic's name 😄)

https://academic-accelerator.com/encycl ... section_10

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphia/c ... ne_naming/

The takeaway is that Philly =/= Berlin.
 #1638228  by CNJGeep

There are a handful of MUs that have had that ad in the ceiling since about 2008.
 #1638414  by AlexC

MACTRAXX wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:22 pmOn a personal note I joined Railroad.Net 19 years ago today - February 7, 2005
One of the best benefits of the Forums is having almost 20 years of information saved and available...
The RR.Net Archives go back to March 11-12, 2004 when the "revival" of Railroad.Net began service...
This is something I feel that far too many site members take for granted to research any given topic
over time during my 19 years as an active RR.Net member...MACTRAXX
Cool memory. I was on a previous version of Railroad.net in mid 2000s. Some of those threads made it into this incarnation. (also I'm taking the thread off-topic, myself!)
 #1639005  by Literalman

"Do you have any specific question in mind about the R-routes?" I was just wondering whether a new ad was using old information. It reminded me of the brand-new signs installed in the Fredericksburg, Va., station about 12 years ago with the exact same message as the signs they replaced: Amtrak and RF&P customers only, long after RF&P stopped serving the station and about 20 years after VRE started.
Attachments:
Fburg_no_trespass_Jul2012.JPG
Fburg_no_trespass_Jul2012.JPG (251.89 KiB) Viewed 695 times
 #1639011  by MACTRAXX

SD - Interesting note and photo of the No Trespassing sign mentioning the RF&P instead of CSX...
(off topic but intriguing...) A thought: Could RF&P actually still exist as a "Paper" railroad in legal terms?
Makes me wonder about VRE riders that use Fredericksburg Station: Would it be considered trespassing
to not be in possession of a VRE or Amtrak ticket provided that they are available at FBG?

The only changes to the Airport Line in 2010 were ending the R1 designation and the use of yellow for
the distinct color code...Yellow should have been retained specifically for PHL Airport RRD services...
As example the original destination signs read "Airport" in black on a yellow background without a
R designation when the Airport Line opened for service back in 1985...

AC - Off Topic Reply: It will be interesting to see how Railroad.Net will mark its 20th Anniversary
three weeks from now - I suggested a 20th Anniversary memories discussion and bringing back
the original introductory heading graphics with the two E/F units "20 Years of Service 2004-2024"
"20th Anniversary 2004-2024". Let's see what will happen as March 11-12 approaches...MACTRAXX