Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by CHANGEATJAMAICA

My cup runneth over; in addition to a cab ride from Jamaica to Oyster Bay, I've received DVD of a cab ride from Pennslyvania Station to Port Jefferson.

This ride also uses the "west" bound tracks from Jamaica to Floral Park for the east bound ride. The commentator constantyl refers to "rule 261" being in effect without ever really explaining it. Can any of you folks enlighten a tyro?

Additionally, received a copy of Revisiting the Long Island Railroad, 1925-1975, with a couple of pictures of the Hillside staion from which I used to watch the LIRR switch freight in the Holban Yards.

Best regards,
Rodger

by Lirr168

"Rule 261" is a reference to NORAC Rule 261. This refers to a track that is signalled for operation in both directions, which means that a traditionally westbound track can be used for either westbound or eastbound trains, as is the case with the ROW between Jamaica and Floral Park.

by Jersey_Mike

Since we're dealing with the LIRR, the best definition if from the old PRR Rulebook.
261. On portions of the railroad and on designated tracks so specified on the time-table, trains will be governed by block signals whose indications will supersede the superiority of trains for both opposing and following movements on the same track.
Most of the LIRR now operates under NORAC Rule 562...Cab signals without fixed wayside signals.

by DutchRailnut

LIRR does have its own Code of Operating rules and does not use NORAC other than frrom Harold to NYP.
The Rule numbers do correspond to same type of rules however, unlike MNCR's rule book which is as confussing as it can get.

by Long Island 7285

Was NORACs rules based in part of the PRR/PC's operating rules? whats the origin behind NORAC.

by DutchRailnut

NORAC was writen by Commitee of several big railroads to create a general code of operating rules for north east. it was based on General Code of operating rules that were used as basis for most railroads at the time including NH/PRR/NYC etc.

by Clem

To elaborate a bit on what others above have said:

The LIRR uses its version of the Standard Code, carried over from the PRR and once used by almost all railroads in the AAR. It predates NORAC by eighty years and formed the basis of NORAC.

The different Signal Rules, of which Rule 261 is part were placed in the book as automatic signaling technology advanced. This part of the Rule Book reads as a chronology of signal development.

First came Rule 251, where automatic block signals were installed to replace Manual Block to control movement in one fixed direction, known as a "current of traffic." A current of traffic can only exist where Rule 251 is in effect and the particular current on each track is designated in the timetable. There was virtually no signaling when operating against this current of traffic, so in most places Manual Block Rules would affect movement in the other direction.

The LIRR originally and still uses Rule 251 to govern trains on signal track with manual blocks.

When "reverse signaling" came along, Rule 261 was written to describe that system. Here, an operator can change the "established direction of traffic" at will and signals are installed and operate in both directions.

For anyone interested, I'm certain that Form 19, who has illustrated his expertise on Standard Rule history, could provide a more accurate and perhaps percise background.

Clemuel

by Form 19

Rule 261 was introduced to the Standard Code of Operating Rules in the late 1940s due to advancements in signal technology, as Clem pointed out.

Basically, it works like this. Prior to the implementation of Signal Rules such as 251 and 261, Train Orders were used to supercede superiority between trains of different classes, whether they were following or opposing each other. With the implementation of Block Rules at the turn of the 19th Century, it was discovered that with signal protection in place the superiority that existed between following trains could safely be superceded by Block Signal indication. Since Rule 251 type signalling is only in one direction, superiority was superceded only if they are following trains. But between opposing trains, superiority still has to be superceded by Train Order. Rule 251 came into common usage after WWI.

Approximately 20 years later, signal techonology advancements enabled reverse signalling on the same track. Therefore, whether trains were opposing or following each other, they were protected by fixed Block Signals. With this type of protection involved, superiority could then be superceded by Block Signal indications whether they were following or opposing trains. To be very basic, what was once done by Train Order in Rule 251 territory, superceding superiority between opposing trains, is now done by Block Signal indications where Rule 261 is in effect. Essentially, whether you're following or opposing, if you receive Block Signal indication in "passing" position, then you are superior and can "go".
  by Brock

After I finish engineer training and become a transportation manager I want to change lots of the rules so the railroad trains run faster. You can tell me watt changes youthink will be good and ill rite them down now and as soon as I get the jon I'll make your changes. Youll be very lucky to have a railfan running the railroad as a transportation manager. lots of things wioll change.

Cedarhurst Brock
Life Member NARP
Certified Railfan
  by jg greenwood

Brock wrote: lots of things (wioll) change.

Cedarhurst Brock
Life Member NARP
Certified Railfan
And some remain carved in stone! Again, please indulge my ignorance and explain exactly what a "certified railfan" is.?

by Brock

Only members in good standing of the Worldwide Rail Entheusists Society can use the title or display the logo of Certified Railfan. It is a very elete group that screens its members and requires that
"all members demonstrate an exceptional expertise in all phases of railfanning" and follow their railfan code.
Im sure my use of the designation in my resume and interview landed me my position on the LIRR and the promise of immediate promotion into executive management.

BROCK
Lifetime Member NARP
Certified Railfan

by jg greenwood

Brock wrote:Only members in good standing of the Worldwide Rail Entheusists Society can use the title or display the logo of Certified Railfan. It is a very elete group that screens its members and requires that
"all members demonstrate an exceptional expertise in all phases of railfanning" and follow their railfan code.
Im sure my use of the designation in my resume and interview landed me my position on the LIRR and the promise of immediate promotion into executive management.

BROCK
Lifetime Member NARP
Certified Railfan
Go get em Big Brock! When you land your executive management position
please instruct me as to the proper procedure for submitting a resume' that's appealing to the "high command." :wink:

by Form 19

The Railfan Code...now that's FUNNY!!!!

by SimplySam

I have met a lot of railfans who should be certified but never any certified railfans.

by DutchRailnut

I met a lot that are certifiable :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: