Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

Last night I saw a trailer for the upcoming movie "Derailed." It is based on James Siegel's superb book of the same title, which featured the LIRR as a central plot device. However, much to my dismay, the trailer features numerous shots of Metra trains! That made me wonder something: was the LIRR even given the opportunity to have its facilities and/or equipment featured in the movie? Perhaps Clem would be privy to such information...

by NIMBYkiller

Part of Eternal Sunshine was filmed at Montauk station....after the characters board an M2 on the New Haven line....

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I dont know if the railroad was given the opportunity, but I do know there have been many movies and tv shows and commercials shot on the railroad, so i doubt it was a conflict with the RR

by emfinite

I remember seeing RS-3 #1555 in the blue and yellow paint scheme featured in a railroad scene in the TV show "McCloud" (filmed in 1970). Funny thing was that the scene started on a train that was being pulled by two Santa Fe warbonnet F-3's and ended with the RS-3! Odd, but there was still a Long Island Railroad engine in the scene for 5 seconds.

Joe

by emfinite

Forgot something else. Back in the early 90's, I remember going to the Farmingdale train station around 9-10pm one night and seeing very bright lights on the eastbound platform. Upon a closer look, a scene from a movie was being filmed. The cast and crew were there with cameras ready. They were just waiting for a train to pass so they could get the shot they wanted. The crews must have wanted to change the station name because they made a station sign that looked like a real LIRR station sign (with the small blue stripe at the top and white background with black writing). The odd thing was that they renamed Farmingdale to Babylon! I remember it clear as day, but forget the name of the movie being filmed! They told me it would be shown at the Sundance film festival. Don't know if anyone has seen it or if that scene even made it to the final cut of the movie, but just thought I should add that on.

Joe

by Clemuel

Cab Car 5018 derailed in Richmond Hill last night. Rerailed this morning at about 3.