Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

I'm just curious about a few things, if any Metra engineers care to respond. I ask that no one use any responses to start arguements or wars or personal attacks. This is for informational purposes only. A brief explanation of your response would be appreciated. If other engineers want to respond, I have no problem as long as its cool with the moderator(s).

1. Which cab car do you prefer, Pullman, early CB&Q Budd, other Budd, or current 8400/8500?

2. Which controls do you prefer; AAR or desktop?

3. Which locomotive is/was your favorite to operate; MP36-3C, F40PH-M2, F40PH, F40C, E unit or F unit?

4. Do you prefer running the train from the locomotive or the cab car?

A side question; does anyone know what the indication for the yellow over yellow aspect on the signal at Cragin Junction on the MILW west line main track 2 is called? (I hope I worded that right).

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  by c604.

I'd like to piggyback one more question to those if you don't mind:

For the engineers who have been around long enough, in commuter service did you prefer using manual lapping brake valves like 24RL and PS-68 or do you prefer self lapping like 26 and newer? I've used both types but not in actual commuter service and tend to prefer manual lapping just a tad more at times, just wondering what your preference was in actual service.
  by EricL

F40CFan wrote: A side question; does anyone know what the indication for the yellow over yellow aspect on the signal at Cragin Junction on the MILW west line main track 2 is called? (I hope I worded that right).
Yellow over yellow on the CP is Approach Diverging - be prepared to enter diverging route at the next signal. I'm not qualified on this line so I don't know any of the specific oddities, but that's what a yellow over yellow is. It should appear on the signal before the control point; not on the control point itself.

I dug out my CP timetable from when I was working out of Milwaukee, and I guess Cragin is officially called "Cicero West" now. FWIW.
  by F40CFan

EricL wrote:Yellow over yellow on the CP is Approach Diverging - be prepared to enter diverging route at the next signal. I'm not qualified on this line so I don't know any of the specific oddities, but that's what a yellow over yellow is. It should appear on the signal before the control point; not on the control point itself.

I dug out my CP timetable from when I was working out of Milwaukee, and I guess Cragin is officially called "Cicero West" now. FWIW.
Thanks for all the information.
  by bones

I prefer the Budd control cars, AAR control stand, F40C, or F40PH, and I prefer running from the engine, especially since all control cars are now desktop (what a stupid idea).
  by F40CFan

bones wrote:I prefer the Budd control cars, AAR control stand, F40C, or F40PH, and I prefer running from the engine, especially since all control cars are now desktop (what a stupid idea).
Did the Budd cars not have desk top controls? I had just assumed from the tight spaces that thats where the design came from. Well, you know what they say about assume....
  by bones

They did not have desktops. They were set up like the Pullman's.
  by F40CFan

bones wrote:They did not have desktops. They were set up like the Pullman's.
Thanks. I saw a video where the Pullman cab was shown, so I think I have an idea of what they looked like. It must really frost your cookies everytime they decomission a Budd cab. I feel the same way everytime they attempt to move work from a mainframe to "open systems". In my field, it rarely works properly, but they do it anyway because that is what management wants.

Sorry to bug you, but one last question. If the Budds were set up like the Pullmans, why do you prefer the Budds? The reason I'm asking is that I enjoy riding in the Budds over the Pullmans. I find them more comfortable and the seats line up better with the windows.

Thanks again for your insights.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

did you prefer using manual lapping brake valves like 24RL and PS-68 or do you prefer self lapping like 26 and newer?
This bit really interests me too. I'm pretty sure manual-lapping brakes are the kind that you have to apply your pressure reduction and then shift the lever back to the lap position to hold that pressure. If anything had brakes like that I bet it would be the Pullman cabs and older Budd cabs.
  by bones

The liked the Budd's because of the AAR control stand, and the 26 brakes which are self lapping. Also the brakes on the Budd's would set up alot quicker than the 84, or 8500's. So you could drive em' into these stations alot harder and make some good time.

Example with an 84/8500: If you're doing 79mph going east, you would have to set the brakes at 86th Ave. to stop at Palos Park.

Example with a Budd 8200: If you're doing 79mph going east, you could set the brakes almost a train length past 86th Ave. to stop at Palos Park.
  by F40CFan

On a lighter note, the new Metra safety poster onboard has a cab car leading a train into a station warning people to stay back where the engineer can see them. If you look close, the cab car is a Budd 8200, not an 84/8500.
  by c604.

That poster has been around for at least 13 years, they haven't used it in quite a while. Its nice to see it in circulation again.
  by F40CFan

They had Cab Control Coach 8587 at the Franklin Park Railroad Daze last weekend (05/16) and the cab was open. I climbed in and can see why the engineers don't like the table top controls. I just sat there for a few minutes (there was no one waiting in line so I took advantage of it) and was uncomfortable. I also checked out Boombox 425, and it wasn't any better. There were freight units with the AAR control stand and they were much better on my back.
  by Metra kid

I was at Franklin Park's RR Dazes as well, and you are right. There was no wait to get into the Metra's cab car. I sat down there for several minutes taking pictures all around the cab. I kinda like the desktop design for the cab cars and Metra locos, but then again I can see how the AAR type stand could be liked. It's a toss up for me. I wish I could of rode off in the cab car. LOL