Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ANDY117

Are these ex CR? Can they be used to power a commuter train, or are they lacking HEP. Any way to model these?

by DutchRailnut

They are GP35r's, rebuilt with non turbo powered engines.
yes they are ex Conrail
101 is ex CR 3641
102 is ex CR 2271
103 is ex CR 2251
104 is ex CR 2350
105 is ex CR 3637
106 is ex CR 2274

They are good for 70 mph with passenger train but need a HEP sourse from another engine. they are 2000Hp but are very very tired.
To model one start with a KATO GP35 but lots of modifications are needed.
Two stacks vs One, Two fans vs Three, Cab signal box , Ditch lights front and back.

by glennk419

Just curious, 101 and 105 are obviously ex-Reading locos. Do they still have their rain gutters?
  by MTASUPT

Dutch,

Do not forget the placement of the horns!

by ANDY117

I was planning on using the new Athearn GP35 so i could run it with other MN units. What's up with the horns anyway? Any makers of them in HO?

by DutchRailnut

The horn was moved from roof to firemans side of long hood , so unit would not short out Catenary

by ANDY117

How many chimes is it? 2?

by DutchRailnut

Its a 3 bell Horn with the middle size facing to rear. the other two to front with the little guy on top.

by ANDY117

Anyone make it in HO?

by DutchRailnut

Im sure someone does but you have to fight trough the Walters catalog yourself.

by ANDY117

Thankfully i have one! Now i just need a blanket, and a cup of hot cocoa. Mmm. Dutch, just wondering here but are you with MN? Also, what's this "cab signal box" thingamajig? Does the MN have any other Geeps?

by DutchRailnut

Yes Im a locomotive Engineer, the Cab signal box is the box in front of engineers windshield.
yes MNCR has several freight units.
A GP 8 #543 ex NYC 5770 later CR 5432
A GP 9 #750 ex NYC 5935 later CR 7508

Two newly built BLO-6's two axle critters built by Brookvile locomotive works.
and a Former NYCTA GE 70 tonner numbered 064
If you give me your Email in Private message Ill provide you with pictures of any details or engines

by ANDY117

What colors are these geeps? i remamber i was in Croton-on-hudson with my aunt, and there was this dirty, like brownish locomotive across the way. think it had a red stripe. it sounds like one of these Geeps.

by Otto Vondrak

Andy- calm down. Have some dip. Give Dutch a chance to catch his breath!

Try a Google search for some of the answers to your questions- there are many published MN rosters out there with basic info you're looking for. There are no factory painted models of MN work locomotives currently, so anything you want will have to be modeled and painted by yourself. You could easily paint up stock models into MN schemes (decals are available from Microscale), or you could be more involved and cut, hack, glue, and trim your way to a custom model.

-otto-

by ANDY117

Sounds fun. Microscale. now i just need to look at the right paint colors. CR blue, metallic silver, and cornell red?