Railroad Forums 

• Questions about life as Engineer

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#255056  by gprimr1

Conductors ride on the train to right. Maybe that's what I need to look into.

It just sucks not knowing what to do with your life.

#255084  by charlie6017

I think on most railroads, you have to start as a conductor. Conductors are always busy, too--even though they are not running the locomotives. They have a lot to do as well, and the hours are every bit as screwy.

#255157  by David Benton

gprimr1 wrote:Conductors ride on the train to right. Maybe that's what I need to look into.

It just sucks not knowing what to do with your life.
I wouldnt worry too much about it . i don't know how old you are ,but the important thing is to do something . theres plenty of opportunity to change carreers , or retrain in later life . try it and see is my advice .

#255225  by Aji-tater

Actually the conductors ride on the train to the left. The engineer is on the right. :-))

#255429  by CSX-COAL HAULER

HE DID NOT MEAN ON THE RIGHT SIDE-------------HE MEANT TO SAY THEY RIDE ON THE TRAIN ALSO..!!

#255431  by jg greenwood

Eats, Shoots & Leaves. :wink:

#255991  by CN_Hogger

charlie6017 wrote: Conductors are always busy, too--even though they are not running the locomotives. They have a lot to do as well, and the hours are every bit as screwy.
Busy doing what? Sleeping? It's a treat to have a conductor who doesn't sleep, makes that trip in the wee hours a lot better.

As an old head told me once, a lot of condutors are grade indicators, head towards the ceiling for uphill and head towards the floor for downhill.

#255995  by gprimr1

Even though I coudn't touch the controls, I would want to learn everythign I could about locomotive operation so if I decide to become an engineer, the classes would be that much easier.

#256065  by jz441

If you are willing to learn most engineers will teach you about their job. As CN Hogger said,.. There are very few that stay awake. Some that do stay awake I rather have sleeping since they never SHUT UP!

#256094  by slchub

JZ, AMEN! LOL!

You have to love the ones that start from switch to switch, or register room to register room. I think they should have gone into politics as much talking as they can do. Not even a hesitation from calling out signals to talking to the dispatcher, just continue chattering on, and your like, uh-huh, yeah, oh, yep, no kidding, wow.

#256164  by gprimr1

I love being awake at night so it probally wouldn't be an issue.

#256295  by slchub

No it is good. The only time I get irritated is when we FINALLY get into the hole (siding) and I am looking to catch a quick cat-nap, he's rambling on about when he and Pete back in 1979 went fishing on July 13th at 1:39 p.m. after running the KMNOA with 4 units and can recite the unit numbers and what color they were painted. Then your like for the love of Pete dude, SHUT UP!

For the most part they are good well intentioned guys and I would not trade 'em for anyone (they know alot of stuff and have alot of experience that alot of the new kids don't have, including me!), they are usually the guys who will go out and do anything for you including checking the rear unit to see if it is still on line when your crawling up the hill. But boy can some of them talk!

#256675  by GOLDEN-ARM

I liked that "grade indicator" thing, although when you have to watch a "bobblehead", it's kind of hard, figuring out those grades...... :-D

#256786  by charlie6017

CN_Hogger wrote:
charlie6017 wrote: Conductors are always busy, too--even though they are not running the locomotives. They have a lot to do as well, and the hours are every bit as screwy.
Busy doing what? Sleeping? It's a treat to have a conductor who doesn't sleep, makes that trip in the wee hours a lot better.

As an old head told me once, a lot of condutors are grade indicators, head towards the ceiling for uphill and head towards the floor for downhill.
Sorry...........guess I had that coming! ;-)

#264903  by NSPeon

golden arm hit it right. go to law school, then if you dont like it, try the railroad. I still wish I had stayed in college. Espcially yesterday when it was 115 in the yard. I love how all that steel just radiates the heat all around you..........yippie
You work on the railroad a little while, the only time your eyes light up is when they tell you that you can put off and go home........