Railroad Forums 

• Questions About Arbitraries & yearly pay

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#122837  by bufnick

Just wonder how they worked and approx. how much are they this is all very confuseing can anyone help thanks
Last edited by bufnick on Fri May 06, 2005 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#124225  by bufnick

Does Anyone Know Anything about them

#124544  by CSX Conductor

You need to be a bit more specific. There are many arbitraries that all T&E employees are entitled to (i.e. meal allowances). There are some that are only for engineers (i.e. weight on drivers). There are some that conductors and trainmen get but engineers don't (i.e. shoves). There are even a good amount that on employees hired prior to 1985 get (i.e. radio pay). :wink:

#124595  by bufnick

Oh ok well i was told that a conductor gets a basic days play plus arbitraries they said it was miles traveled on the train and how many cars long it was is this true and what is the aprox. pay for this things and whatabout yearly pay what is the average pay a conductor should make a year thank you

#125021  by CSX Conductor

It also varies on what type of position. Yard jobs and locals pay a basic 8 hour day with over-time after 8 hours, whereas road jobs are paid by the mile basis of the trip, with over-time beginning after a set time based on how many miles. (i.e. Boston to Selkirk NY is paid 193 miles and over-time starts at 11hours/53minutes........meanwhile a trip from Oak Island NJ to Selkirk,NY only pays 151 miles, but over-time begins shortly after 9 hours.

#127723  by freshmeat

Lot of arbitraries apply to pre 1985 conductors. These include air pay, ETD pay, initial and final terminal delays. If you are post 1985 you will get only a very few arbitraries. Meals overnight, late meals for yard jobs and held away pay for over 16 hours at the AFHT. Yeah, post 1985 is a drag.