• Questioned at Port Washington....for the THIRD time!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

We fans need Transmitters. We here them call 204 then we call 204 and say its under control. "im only a railfan not a suspicous subject, looking out for our safety and security while enjoying my hobby." HAHA :-D

by LIRRNOVA55

That would only work if scanners werent illigal to have in the majority of states.

by Clem

Ah .. the scanner debate rears its head...

Now this ol' guy may be out of date, but I recall that the Communications Act of 1934 makes it impossible to legislate against receiving any radio transmission.

What is illegal in many places is the use of a scanner in a vehicle.

Of course possessing one so you can tell when the cops are coming for you makes you somewhat suspect as well, which may get you treated poorly by police... maybe even worse than you'd be for taking pictures.

Clem

by badneighbor

the crime would be using the scanner in the commission of a crime. That is one key reason why the scanners in vehicles are prohibited.

by Long Island 7285

Correct,

How ever it is not a crime to listen to your favorite railroads moves over the scanner, and so be it they call the MTA Police on you. the same tool you use to postition your self for the perfict shot will aid in getting your ass out of a sticky situation, tuss there are no locals on call in the parkinglot :-D otherwise you got some Xplaining to do :(

by Brock

Clemuel wants everyone to take this harassment lying down. RAILFANS MUST FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!You were assaulted, NIMBY! You never should have let that cop take your wallet out of your hand. Next time lay on the ground and scream I will not submit to your illegal search!!! Stop assaulting me!!! I will not answer any questions!! Call my attorney immediately!!!. No cop can even make you answe a question without your lawyer. If they know you want a lawyer they shake in their boots and will just walk away from you and not ask you anything else. Remember that just like every LIRR employee the cops work your you and get paid by you. When you make a demand they have to listen to you or they can get fired and they all know this. Take all the pictures you want and dont answer anyone. Simply remain silent if the cops ask you questions and if they touch you shout like I said before. Or take lots of pictures of the cops when they come. They will RUN AWAY FROM YOU AND LEAVE YOU ALONE. IF they dont all you have to do is call a lawyer and he will send them court papers for money and you will be paid a lot of money.

CEDARHURST BROCK
certified professional railfan
NARP Life Member #126
  by Head-end View

NIMBY, I think Brock's giving you bad advice. I agree with Clem. You should handle yourself in a business-like manner during the incident. If you feel you were abused by the police officer, the smartest avenue to pursue is to write an intelligent, polite letter of complaint to the Chief of the Port Washington Police Dept. Include the date, time, location and the officer's name or badge number. My experience in dealing with public officials (and company presidents) is that if you write a reasonable letter, you will usually get a reasonable reply. :-)

by NIMBYkiller

Clem, thank you for the info. Seems silly to call the cops anytime someone is taking pictures, but in these days where irrational thinking seems to have been the guiding force behind the pens of the lawmakers, it's not too surprising. As long as they don't tell me it's illegal or threaten me with arrest(or disrespect me), I've got no problem with answering questions.

Joe, transmitters will cause nothing but chaos. Anyone would be able to buy one and say, oh, yeah, I'm just a railfan, or, oh yeah, I was just testing to see how loud my gun is and I have nothing to do with the body that you will find in 10 minutes when I am long gone.

Brock, piss off.

Head-end-View, I may be young and crazy, but I sure as hell am not stupid, lol. I think even Joe V would consider this dudes advice as poor.

by 4 Express

Perhaps I should correct Brock on how to handle the cops in a situation like this (no offense Brock). Of course you don't have to regard this.
-When you talk to a cop, be aware of your word choice as they can use it against you and throw you in jail no matter what situation.
-You can refuse an officers questioning, but they might get suspicious.
-Police are allowed to pat you down if they think you have a weapon, just don't refuse, or they will use it against you.
Last, but not least
-Don't interfere with the police.

by badneighbor

i'd say making a scene is a sure guarantee to get you a ride in a silver Crown Vic, down to the nearest MTA-PD Interrogation Center.