• Question about zone 4 to 10 monthly on LIRR, please help

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

I am plannin on applyin for a job on the fire island ferries. I need to know one thing about the monthly ticket to there though.
I'd be leaving from Port Washington(zone 4), going to Woodside(Zone 1), then going to either Bay Shore, Sayville, or Patchogue(Zone 10). Now, can I just pay the monthly price for a ticket from zone 4 to zone 10, or do I have to pay for a monthly from zone 4 to zone 1, and then another monthly from zone 1 to zone 10?
(Yes Barry, I know you told me, I just want to double check)

by LI Loco

I pretty sure the LIRR will hit you up twice; once for Port Washington - Woodside and again for Woodside - Babylon (or whichever stop you plan to use to get to Fire Island. But get it from the horse's mouth by checking with the agent at the Port Washington station.

by NIMBYkiller

I could probably do a zone 1-10 ticket and use it for the PW line cuz it's within the 1-10. But it's still $211 a month versus 144 or sumtin like that a month for zone 4-10. Ugh.
  by davelirrider

Jared,
If you go to the TVM and when you press Monthly ticket, it asks you for the station combinations you are travelling to and from. Since you live in Port Washington, to get to points east, you require a transfer at Woodside. The LIRR won't penalize you for that. You can just buy a ticket from zone 4 to 10, and you'll be fine. The machine wont allow you to buy one if there would be a problem with it.

by JoeLIRR

How will the TVM NOT penalize you. I took a train to Patchog once from Valley asls Zones 4-10 and the BS machine had the balls to ask if i were going direct from valley to Patchog or if i neede to change @ Jamaica. (what a clever way for the TA to make a extra buck or to.)

4-10 1way was apx $4.50 then with the change @ jam the same trip came out to apx $7.00. giving the TA an aproxmit profit of $2.50 more then they should get.

there is no B platform @ valley an not all locals to bblon stop @ Lynbk.
so more then most of the time it is not posible to take a Lbeach train to Lynbk then a local to babylon. then change to a montauk train.

by NIMBYkiller

Dave.....I think I did that once before with the TVM going from Port Washington to East Hampton, and it didn't include going through zones 3 and 1.

Ya think if I do this for a monthly ticket, the train crews would have a problem with it? I mean, I am paying for the trip from my origin to my final destination, and it's not my fault that I have to go through zones 3 and 1, and it's not my fault the TVM didn't recognize it...right?

by krispy

Before you do anything, talk to the agent. You're looking for a "mileage ticket" and TVM's and conductors are NOT supposed to cut them, and if you buy two separate tickets, you might be paying more. They take longer than normal tickets and new ticket clerks may take longer to whip it up (probably ain't seen something like that since school), so buy in advance.

Depending on which ferry terminal you're working at, (Bayshore, Sayville or Patchogue) you should also pick up a S-40 schedule from Suffolk Transit, in case you miss the connection at Babylon, or if there is a big layover. Pick up the 40 south of the lot on that side street where the bars are south of the station, not adjacent to the platforms where the other buses. Suffolk Xsit doesn't run on Sunday, so watch the connections.

That is going to be one loooooooooong commute, bring lots of books and I hope the job is worth it. A closer place for ferry work is Glen Cove, or just go into the city and try there...

by NIMBYkiller

I've never heard of milage tickets. Would it be the same price as a zone 4 to zone 10 ticket?

So...when I get to the ticket agent at Port Washington, what do I say? I need a milage ticket from Port Washington to zone 10?

I think the connecting train is at Jamaica, no transfer at Babylon.

It's gonna be about 2 hrs, but unfortunately, the Patchogue company said their only opening is at Watch Hill(Fire Island), and the Bay Shore company said they thing they dont have anything open.

The Glen Cove ferries shut down a few years back, or atleast the Pier 11 one did. I think the one to New London is gone too(if it's not, than I'm definately goin there).

I was actually just trying with the ferry companies in NYC. I went to Weehawken from Port Jeff(applied with the port jeff ferry too) the other day to try for NY Waterway. Both companies have opening. I'm still tryin to reach Water Taxi. Any other companies?

by krispy

2 hrs is optomistic, it will be more than that, unless you get REALLY lucky. Just tell the agent what you want to do, Patchogue via Woodside. Once he (or she) gets over their surprise, they'll whip out a set of rubber stamps and blow the dust off of it, and then cut the ticket. I had the misfortune of also doing a similar commute (Smithtown to Long Beach - but hey it was Chauncey's, and didn't have to worry about driving) and getting the ticket in advance saved me a headache and penalty fare. I had to sprint across the station to catch my eastbound so I had no time to go downstairs and get a ticket.

Go for Waterworks, they're the only one doing well (as well as Pt. Jeff, but you didn't mention them). I didn't know the Glen Cove had pulled the plug on their high speed. I lost touch with some old pals out there, but the Sayville and Patchogue were mostly who-you-know types or out of work clammers, and none of them made $ unless they had their Coast Guard licenses...

by NIMBYkiller

Waterworks? Is that the Bay Shore Ferry? Or did you mean Waterway?

Patchogue Ferry said they're hirin for Watch Hill, Fire Island.

Tomarrow, I'm taking the 7:46 train from Port Washington, and getting to Bay Shore at 9:31. That's only 1 hr and 45 mins. So, damnit, you're right. It's longer to Patchogue, about 25 mins more. Crap. Oh well, I'm just sitting down, and atleast it's a job.

One question though. When you commuted from Smithtown to LB, did you have to pay for going through zone 3, or did you just pay from w/e zone Smithtown is in to w/e zone LB is in?

by bluebelly

NImby ," Mileage Tickets" also known as "Via Tickets" are availble from TVMs as well as manned ticket offices. The ticket will read Port Washington to Sayville via Woodside. They are signifcantly less expensive then if you bought a ticket from PW to Woodside, and then a ticket from Woodside to Sayville. They can not be purchased on the train. The 4-10 monthly would not work as they are only good for travel within those Zones. As you know Woodside is in Zone 1 so you would have to extend the ride (pay the difference in the fare) for $ 5.25 twice each trip. So it would cost you 21.00 a day plus the cost of the monthly.
What you need to do is go to the PW ticket office, get a price for a round trip mileage ticket then figure out who much it will cost you per month to travel using these tickets and compare it to the cost of a 1-10 montly. Then go with which ever is cheaper.