• Question about summer programs/internships

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by cruiser939

I would really enjoy working for LIRR this summer. Does anyone know if there are any programs that I could apply for? If anybody on this board has any information regarding summer jobs/internships please respond. Also, if you know who (if anybody) I should contact it would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

by Otto Vondrak

Try contacting the main office in Jamaica, they can answer all your questions regarding possible internships.

Long Island Rail Road
9302 Archer Ave
Jamaica, NY 11435
Phone: (718) 558-7400

by de402

NYCTA has a College Aide program that is very good. I worked for it and they have many departments you can rotate in and out of. If interested I could help point you in the right direction.

by cruiser939

Hey, thanks a lot to both otto and de402. Any help you can provide regarding the college aide program would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

by NIMBYkiller

How about anything for high school students?

by n2qhvRMLI

cruiser939 and NIMBY,

If you're interested, the Railroad Museum of Long Island has credit bearing internships available, no money, but your experience time is credited with your school.

If working at the Museum this summer on Long Island Railroad History is of interest, call our Executive Director, Liz Irwin at the Riverhead Site: 631-727-7920

de Don, n2qhvRMLI

by cruiser939

Thanks for the info de402. All those programs sounded as if they were to be taken while attending school. Maybe what I'm looking for isn't considered an internship as much as a summer job since I am looking for compensation rather than college credit?