• Question about an LIRR Bike Permit

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Avidprime

HI all, I was thinking about getting an LIRR bike permit this spring for some weekend bike rides but I had a few questions that I couldn't get complete answers to on LIRR.ORG.

When you board the train (for me it would be Massapequa) with the permit where do you place the actual bike? I read something about the bike needs to be placed in the Handicapped seating area in the C3 cars. What about the M7's? Where do you put the bike? Are you permitted to stand with it in the vestibule on the side where the doors don't open??? Is the bungee cord rule written on the LIRR.org enforced?

I was just curious. I tend to ride peak trains where bikes are not permitted so I have never seen a cyclist on the train.

Thanks for all your help guys
Avidprime

by LIRRMEDFORD

Well with my experience the bungee cord rule was only enforced when I was on the Oyster Bay Branch so it is not a big concern but you should carry one just to be on the safe side. Also a conductor told me once that alot of them don't mind if the bike is next to the door as long as it is away from the opening door when it reaches the station so passengers can board and unboard. So for you your bike would be on the right side of the train from massapequa-Jamaica and then on the left for the rest of the trip if you are going into the city. They also appreciate it if you try and keep your bike towards the back of the train. Hope this helps :wink:

by Clem

Keep the bike out of peoples' way and politely ask the trainmen where he wants it placed.

Can't go wrong that way. Probably half of bike possessing passengers are arrogent, chest beating blowhards so your polite manner will be welcomed by any crew.

Clem
  by Avidprime

Thanks for all your help guys.

Avidprime

by RetiredLIRRConductor

One thing you should know is that you are supposed to board either the head car or rear car, and that only 2 bikes on each end are permitted. Thats 4 bikes per train. One thing you should NEVER do is ride the bike on the platform at any time. Other then that and the restricted trains there should be no problems, and I think everything i mentioned is on the permit. :wink:

by kuzzel540

Sometimes when riding on the Montauk Branch, I see people that have those bikes that come apart and fold up. They can fit on the overhead area above the seats.

by BMT

Being an avid summertime east-end vacationer with a passion for biking, there is no problem locking your bike(s) in the handicapped area of the bi-level cars. This is the area adjacent to the bathroom. There is a "U" shaped bracket that can accommodate those coiled-cable locks.

My experience is that during the height of the summertime season when the amount of bikers on trains gets crazy, I've seen as many as four bikes all locked together in the same area.

Best rule of thumb: ALWAYS ask a Conductor or other train crew as to the best place to lock your bike IF you do not see any available spaces left.

by RPM2Night

another key thing is that it's up to the conductor's discresion whether the bike will be allowed onto the train or not. The primary concern is safety, and if the bike poses a threat to the safety of people on the train in the event that it would block an escape from an accident, the bike wouldn't be allowed on the train.

"Sometimes when riding on the Montauk Branch, I see people that have those bikes that come apart and fold up. They can fit on the overhead area above the seats."

As far as I know, if the bike can fold up and fit on the overhead rack, a permit is not required. I could be wrong though, so I'd double check with the person you buy your ticket from, ahead of time.