Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by febus

Lookingt at the RR network map of Quebec, i have problem
to understand that there is passenger service going to Sonnetere
Gaspe or Jonquieres and that bigger cities like Sherbrooke and
trois rivieres and more populated surrounding areas have zip.
I woul think that a Montreal-trois rivieres-quebec city would
do well.the same for Montreal -Sherbrooke or Sherbrooke-Quebec.

by Ken V

First off, the VIA trains to Jonquiere and Senneterre are considered remote services. That is: they reach locations with few or no roads and have limited to nil air or bus service. This is also true of a number of other VIA trains, including the Canadian's route across Northern Ontario. Many see this as VIA's primary (or only) reason for being.

The route to Gaspé not only provides local service for many travellers but also serves as a large tourist draw which benefits the region significantly.

For the larger population centres, like Trois Rivières and Sherbrooke, there are multiple alternatives available to the travelling public which makes the train less necessary. VIA once served these locations and they were popular, but despite that. they were eliminated during past government funding cutbacks.

Now for my point of view... while I would like to have the choice of taking trains anywhere and everywhere, I realize this is impractical. I think there would be a market for many restored or new routes but, as long as the politics remain as they are, things won't change much in the forseeable future.