• PVL passing sidings/off-peak trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andy

I thought the spur was going to dead end at the Meadowlands and not connect with the PVL on the other end. If so, how are they going to have the local PVLs run the spur? Hoboken-Meadowlands-Hoboken-Spring Valley? I would think they would run special shuttle service between PVL/Main trains.

Do you consider 1606 the Metro-North express, or do you add in the "so called" expresses that skip 2-4 stops in New Jersey?

Work is progressing quite nicely at Nanuet. They have installed the new control box on the firehouse side of the tracks; not sure if this will be for the crossing gates or for the track switches (probably the switches and signals).

by Steve F45

I saw the north hackensack spur is finally starting to get worked on again. Started curving track for the switch. The carlstadt part has all the work equipment down there. Alot of new track layed from paterson plk rd and behind lowes.
  by manhattan exile

These guys were cranking today... drove around tracks near Paterson Plank Rd. and Union Ave. ...they had lifted an entire section of track just W/B of the Union Ave, grade crossing.. I was impressed...guess no equipment moves or freight this weekend.

by Steve F45

those must've been the 50'+ sections i saw. might have to check it out tomorrow.

by nick11a

Pretty cool. Well, any moves that might need to be done this weekend can always wait until the last minute tomorrow night when presumably the new track is in place.

by Steve F45

went past union ave crossing, they ripped all the main line track from about 100' from that crossing w/b to paterson plk rd. They look to be using the new siding they just laid for now as a temp track to i guess replace the old track on the actual pvl. But its alot of work ahead.

by Steve F45

checked out the progess today. The new "passing track is almost installed to the crossing at union ave. But along the new Lowes, the original main was all ripped up and connected to the new "passing" track all the way to paterson plank road. Not sure how far the track was ripped up since it was dark. But all the old ties are gone too.

by Steve F45

went down again today to check on the progress. Not sure if they can "straighten" out the tracks but the new sidings are very very zigzaggy. They put down ballast today so i dont know what will happen. But the new passing siding is now connected to the crossing and could theoretically go down to main line, but thats not connected yet.

by northjerseybuff

I drove down to the Rutherford/Carlstadt area last night to check out the progress on the siding. This one seems to be nearly complete? It was dark so I couldn't see the whole track, but there was NJT tamping equipment on the 2nd track
I also noted that the midday train has midday bus service still.
any other updates?

by Steve F45

I periodically check out the progress. The new siding is in place and has been used a lil bit. The ripped up the original track that runs from paterson plk rd all the way to behind lowes. Put no ballast down and have no laid new ties/rails. One thing i dont understand though is from union ave south to where it connects to the main line all the track work is still old and rickety. Why wouldn't you just rip it all up at once and have it done quicker.

oh and the north hackensack switch work has begun.

by northjerseybuff

I was in Nanuet last evening and saw the siding..Looks complete! switch, ties and all..I would think the only thing needed would be to wire it up? and the signal system..should be done WELL before 2007!!

by duey

northjerseybuff wrote:I was in Nanuet last evening and saw the siding..Looks complete! switch, ties and all..I would think the only thing needed would be to wire it up? and the signal system..should be done WELL before 2007!!
You're right...work was completed on this siding about a week or so ago. And over the last couple weekends, work on the signaling system has been going on.

Now that Nanuet is complete, the work on the North Hack and Teterboro sidings needs to get done. They have ties and track installed, but no ballast or switches.

by Steve F45

North Hackensack has been getting done. But today i drove past on my way to get my check and noticed it almost looks like there putting in a pocket track now at the south end of the siding. I see more free ballast laid to the east of the new siding and a turn off section for a switch. Maybe im seeing things,it could be the section of track pre-maid with the switch just laying there.

by Steve F45

I have a few OT questions about the PVL. Again using my favorite program, google earth. I followed actually the csx river line and found where it met with the old west shore. But i started to follow an old row and came into the pvl. and this is what got me wondering. Could the PVL go further north from is last stop/layover yard? How hard would it be to re-connect it to suffern?
  by manhattan exile

Re: PVL and Suffern

Issue extensively discussed on other threads. Mechanics are not the problem for service restoration, NIMBYs are!!