• Proposed Middleborough Line Extension to Bourne Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mbrproductions

Since Middleborough/Lakeville Station is due to be replaced by a downtown Middleborough Station after SCR Phase I is completed, then when SCR Phase II is completed the new station is due to become the line's new terminus, wouldn't this effect the proposed extension of the Middleborough Line to Buzzards Bay or Bourne since the new station is unusable for the service? Furthermore, if the Middleborough/Lakeville station were to be reopened for Cape Cod service, then wouldn't the downtown station have to be shut down and replaced by the very station it was meant to replace, which would mean that it was a complete waste of money to build it in the first place?

- Thanks
  by Commuterrail1050

From what I heard, the old middleboro station will be used for seasonal capeflyer service while the new one in 2023 will be used for regular passenger service. It was discussed on a YouTube video of the history of the Boston’s commuter rail network. So no, once the downtown station opens, it stays open indefinitely.
  by mbrproductions

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:48 am From what I heard, the old middleboro station will be used for seasonal capeflyer service while the new one in 2023 will be used for regular passenger service. It was discussed on a YouTube video of the history of the Boston’s commuter rail network. So no, once the downtown station opens, it stays open indefinitely.
Yes, I know that, my question was more about if the Middleborough/Lakeville station is reinstated for regular Commuter Rail service, then what is the point of building the new downtown station when in the case that the Bourne Extension is opened in conjunction with SCR Phase II no service will use it anyway.