• Prevented from taking pix on LIRR? Help is on the way!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jollymonjeff

Contact Sam Munger of the NY Civil Liberties Union at [email protected]
be mindful to provide factual accounts, times, dates, locations, who approched you and what was said.
Taking photos* is not a crime! Do not get treated like a criminal!

(in publically accessable locations)

by badneighbor

Taking photos isn't the crime. Tresspassing on MTA Property, or violating rules such as loitering on platforms, snooping around yards, or using bulky clumsy tripods is against the rules. Take it easy with the ACLU and all that, the ACLU would just as soon let all the terror suspects out of Gitmo so they could go about their mayhem, jihad or whatever... in the name of freedom.

by District D RTC

or violating rules such as loitering on platforms,
Um.... The purpose of a train station (platform) is to WAIT for a train. So don't say that loitering at a train station is illegal or against the rules. NYCT already tried that and LOST in NYS supreme court.

Please check your facts and think about what you are about to post before you get up on a political soap box. By yoiur comments I would guess you have never been a photographer in the real world where even pre 9/11 people would question What you were doing and why. Anyone, police or otherwise, has a right to ask that question. They DO NOT have the right to detain or arrest you for such. And to check my facts, please reffereence the first ammendment to the CONSTITUTION of the United States of America. That is unless the LIRR has somehow succeeded from the nation.

(This is the 5:39 LIRR train to Your Third World Country, the next stop will be Jamacia.)

--JSW

by RPM2Night

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you are standing on the platform waiting for a train, you are not loitering. But, if you are just standing around on the platform and train after train stops, opens it's doors and leaves, and you still remain on the platform, you are loitering.

Consider you're out and about, then return to your house. There's someone standing outside on the sidewalk, but you think nothing of it. Well, 2 hours later you realize that you left your cellphone in the car, so you walk out to the car again to get it and you notice the same person just standing there, loitering. Wouldn't that seem a little suspicious?

by NIMBYkiller

The funny part is that no, I would not think that that is at all suspicious. I would just leave 50 cents and maybe a bigmac for them and keep walking :wink:

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The point bad neighbor makes is valid. Yes you can take pictures. Yes you must be responsible too. Two weeks ago a channel 2 news crew had a large video camera set up to photograph an approaching train. They had the tripod right up against the edge of the platform. I stuck my head out to observe the platform for short riders as we pullled in, and saw the camera just in time to pull my head back and avoid injury. Situations like that are whats being talked about.. and this was a "professional" crew

by Long Island 7285

LirrConductor
I’ve shot professional Video cameras a few times and work in a place that sells them. I am not really good at what I do but I have a sickness that makes me think I am smart. They are big, and utilize big and expensive tripods also. I'm sorry I know I have terrible grammar but I am in special ed classes and one day will not have to use spell check and people will think I am smart. In terms of the news, if they looses one due to stupidity, the $4,000+ for them is like chump change to the news station and they could care less. The media also is more prone to use inconsiderate ways of filming because they think there aloud to because they are the “media” with no respect for anyone else. I have videoed plenty of trains (none with a Pro camera, you can guess why) and have never placed the camera or tripod in a position to create a dangerous condition for my self, the train crew, and the customers. And each time the shot came out great. The media is simply in considerate of this common sense of safety and could care less. Thus ruining it for others.

by badneighbor

hey District... talk about soap boxes... all I'm saying is don't make a nuisance of yourself shooting pictures, and you will stay out of trouble. Why do people like you have to challenge cops who have been drilled post 9-11 to look out for idiots trying to bomb trains. Maybe by the Constitution you are legally allowed to wait for a train. Then get on the train and don't shoot picture after picture of train after train, and tell the cop to go %$# off and read the Constitution. This is supposed to be a hobby for train fans, we shouldn't be pests to people doing their jobs!!

I'm not a professional photographer. But I respect cops who are trying to do what they are ordered to do. Look out for troublemakers.

by BMC

LIRR employees are constantly drummed to the fact that they are to be suspicious of anyone taking pictures around facilities and with good reason.

Yes, I know you like to take your photos unmolested and I enjoy them as much as anybody else, but you have to understand that our wide open transportation system is (and will be) an inviting target for terrorists.

I know as you stand there with your camera and are simply looking for a good RR shot you cannot understand why you are constantly getting hassled.

It is a sad fact in the post 9/11 world that we have to watch it. Remember Madrid, Remember London, Remember the Toyko subways , Remember the Rome airport and remember Lockerbie.

I know I didn't want to be the one to tell the cops "Well, he looked like an innocent photographer to me" after the carnage.

If you don't have anything to hide, just answer the questions. If by a slim chance you get asked to move out blame it on Bin Laden and not the MTA police.

You know I love this country and would never harm it and it burns my butt to have to go through an intensive search every time I board about a jet. Hey, I'm never going to carry a box cutter on board, but I UNDERSTAND that because of 9/11 and CURRENT threats that I must subject to this security check.

I'm sorry I don't understand the indignation about this issue.

by Otto Vondrak

District- if you are waiting to board a train, you have a purpose to be on that platform. Technically, if you do not have a ticket and you are not waiting for a train, then you have no purpose being on that platform, TECHNICALLY you are loitering. "Loitering" means "without purpose" and the police can construe that into you not having a good reason to be on that platform.

badneighbor- If you tell a cop to ___ off and read the Constitution, then you deserve to be kicked out. And thanks for making a good impression for other railfans, too. LIRR owns the platforms, therefore they make the rules about their own property. It is not "public" like a sidewalk on the street, no matter what anyone tells you.

In short, do not make a nuisance of yourself, and no one should bother you. Please let's not turn this thead into another crybaby topic where everyone posts their "horror stories" about encounters with cops who don't want them to take pictures. IT HAPPENS. If you have an unusual encounter with the police, MAKE A COMPLAINT TO THEIR COMMANDING OFFICER.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jollymonjeff

I was thinking about this for a moment. With ticket office staffing being greatly reduced, if there were a problem using a vending maching to buy your ticket, you can still buy them on the train. So, would you need a ticket to wait on the train platform? I would not think so.
I do think taking photos while you are waiting for or in the process of transiting upon a train is different than loitering for hours while trains are making stops at the station you are at.