Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

When I was up there in July, I thought I saw some new signals (with hoods still on) just north of the platforms. Am I right to assume that these signals govern movements over new power switches to the layover tracks? And, if so, are there signals to govern reverse moves into the layover tracks? And what's the CP called for all of this, if in fact my assumption is right in the first place?!

by Railjunkie

The hooded signals you saw were possibly Advance signs for the stop sign at CP 75. If it was at nite or the weekend when they are not working they keep them covered.

by Rockingham Racer

It was a Saturday morning around 8:30. But part-time signals just doesn't sound right. If they're governing CP 75, Amtrak and the freights would use them, no?

by Railjunkie

They are signs that are used in the protection of work gangs replacing ties inside of CP75. When the gang is not working they will cover them up, otherwise once you pass an "A" board you must reduce your speed to not exceeding 30mph prepared to stop at the stop sign. If the forman in charge is not working you will sit there until you are given permission to pass the stop sign from the RTC who would first need to contact the foreman in charge. Engineers will panic, pucker factor we like to call it if we come to a restriction that is not on a bulletin order or signs that are displayed with no explaination of why they are there. If you missed something because you were not looking for it and a boss was around you would have a nice 30 day vacation with out pay.