Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mp15ac

RHL wrote:It seems that the type of third rail that Metro North uses is safer, in that it is not exposed to falling objects as much. Is this a newer type of third rail?
Actually, the under-running third rail used by them was installed by the New York Central back in the early 1900's by order of New York City, which placed a ban on steam locomotives running in Manhattan after a terrible wreck in the Park Avenue cut.

Stuart

by RHL

Do you know what type third rail is better? I noticed on the Boston subway , they don’t use a protection board over the third rail.

by blockss

Overhead is better. There is less of a chance of people and critters accidentally touching it. If doesn't get flooded in bad weather, and the combination of higher voltage and AC transmission provides better power transmission. Third rail is essentially an outdated technology.
Of catenary has clearance issues, both in tunnels and for frieght.

by Otto Vondrak

A member brought this thread to my attention and after reading the disturbing post by Stuart, I am shocked and surprised this thread was not immeditely locked. I am locking this thread until the moderator can contact me.

-otto-