• LIRR UTU member killed on job

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LongIslandTool

This was titled: LIRR Kills Road Car Inspector
This has been covered in the local and national news, though many have probably not heard it.

Yet another LIRR employee has been killed on the job.

LIRR president, Helena Williams, who has called her workers "thieves," and defends the work environment as among the safest in the nation, sent her condolences. The railroad has recently begun using larger-sized cheaper ballast stones on its rights of way which have contributed to many slip and fall accidents.

http://utu.org/2011/08/15/utu-member-on ... ed-on-job/

Many of us have worked with Russell and his father, LIRR Engineer Ed, and keep them both in our prayers.
  by Morisot

This is, indeed, a tragedy. What a terrible loss for his family. And, a painful loss for his friends and fellow workers.

I hope it was only your pain reflected in your headline and words.

Everyone should keep in mind that railroading IS a dangerous job.

And I know that the LIRR has safety at the top of its list of what is important for its workers and customers.
  by SlackControl

The article says he was the sixth UTU member killed on duty during 2011 so far. I assume this is referring to the entire UTU membership, not just LIRR. I don't remember hearing any other LIRR on duty deaths lately.
  by Jeff Smith

This was titled: LIRR Kills Road Car Inspector.

Note: I know Tool (at least, I know him on here), and my intent is not to criticize his choice of title for the thread as Tool generally posts responsibly, at least IMO. I'm sure he and others feel this way.

I normally don't moderate this thread, either, but did receive a PM regarding the title. I'm not the most PC person in the world, but in the interests of not inflaming a situation where someone is killed on the job, I went ahead and changed it. This is an exception, not because I'm afraid someone's sensitivities might be offended by an opinion expressed in a title, but just out of an abundance of caution.

I certainly don't want to minimize the loss the LIRR community will feel over this incident. It's been fashionable to criticize unions lately, but this incident may point out a very good reason for the continued existence of unions.

I know this topic will generate strong opinions. That's okay. But let's keep the hyperbole' out of this, and if there are differences of opinion, let's not attack the members here. I'm sure this incident will be investigated, but Tool's info is usually pretty good.

My sympathy to the family and friends of Mr. Russell DeCeck, and let's all keep them in our thoughts and prayers, and keep them in mind when posting.

I've added a quote from the article below.

Long Island Rail Road car inspector Russell DeCeck, 48, a member of Local 722, Babylon, N.Y., was killed Sunday, Aug. 14, when he reportedly came in contact with the third rail while working at the carrier’s Babylon yard in West Islip, N.Y.

DeCeck, of Coram, N.Y., had 28 years of service. He joined the UTU in 1989.

“On behalf of our entire membership in the UTU family our thoughts and prayers are with Russell’s family and close friends,” LIRR General Chairperson Anthony Simon said. “We are all heartbroken over this tragic loss. This accident is a reminder of just how dangerous railroading can be, and shows the importance of continuing the fight in keeping our members safe.”

DeCeck is the sixth UTU member killed in an on-duty accident in 2011, and the third in a yard accident.
I will say this; one fatality is too many, but six? That seems pretty steep. As a previous poster noted, that number may not just be LIRR.
  by LongIslandTool

Jeff, everybody needs a good editor. Comment and revision is always welcomed.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, the deaths mentioned in the article were nationwide. The LIRR's last employee fatality, I believe was in 2007.

The company looses too many employees to industrial accidents. The causes are many: -- work environment, complacency, organizational culture, etc, etc.

A LIRR employee is more likely to be killed on the job than anyone working for anyone else in the region.
  by Tadman

Sorry to hear about this, a terrible loss. No man or woman deserves to die before their time is truly up, regardless of how this happened.

And I have to second Jeff's comments - Tool, you are quite the member here. I always really enjoy reading your posts because I can count on them not to be polarizing or incite flame wars. But they're always really good - filled with info and perspective. Thanks much for your work here.
  by eon2won1

It is a tragedy and nothing any family should have to endure.
The comments regarding the ballasts are right on.
At some spots you need to be a circus acrobat to navigate a path.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

His Father was a retired LIRR Engineer.
I remember russel as a Coach Cleaner in KO, then later as a car inspector.
Did the flooding have anything to do with it?
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I learned of this because it was reported on News 12 Long Island and my condolences also go out to all regarding this tragic event...

I noticed that one of the reports noted that the LIRR did not think that the heavy rains and resulting flooding on Sunday August 14th contributed to this fatality...

I noticed that Babylon received 7 inches of rain during Sunday's storm and we all know that high voltage electricity and water do not mix...

MACTRAXX
  by Retiree03

Tool: You are absolutely right about the ballast. The large rocks that were laid down when Babylon Yard was redone make the footing very unstable under optimal circumstances, let alone during periods of heavy rain, snow, darkness, etc. That ballast is also very hard on the knees and ankles of people who have to spend a lot of time walking on it. I made my concerns known to my union and LIRR supervision on several occasions, but I might as well have talked to the wall for all the good it did.

If it turns out that the ballast was a contributing factor, I wouldn't be surprised; this was an accident waiting to happen. On the other hand, if the unstable ballast was a contributing factor, I would be surprised if the powers that be own up to it.

I didn't know Russ, but I remember his father well. My sincere condolences to Russ' family and his fellow workers.
  by freightguy

I don't know if it's the same rock ballast it used to come off P&W from Reeds Gap, CT. I think in years past is has also come down from CP Rail to interchange with LIRR through Fresh Pond. However some of the bigger ballast may come from a different source all together for capital projects. If you see the ballast in the MofW trucks sometimes it's alot larger stone than for trackside drainage and roadbed.
  by 3rdrail

I'm surprised that there's not an FRA standard for ballast size, composition, and installation, no ?
  by LongIslandTool

No, the FRA couldn't care if you laid rails on sand, which the LIRR did with its East End mainline many years ago. But the PRR and LIRR had a standard for ballast, formulated through extensive research and testing. The LIRR adhered to this standard for many years, rejecting it for the larger material recently. It was felt the larger material would settle less and lay longer without fouling, ensuring good drainage over a longer life.

While less than level footing contributes to any "trip and fall" injury, one naturally has to be familiar with his surroundings and adjust his behavior to them. A regular worker in a yard should be familiar with his walking surface. Naturally, one may argue that when the surface and its characteristics change after two decades of daily use, there is a period of adjustment where employees may become more vulnerable to injury.

But this puts the cart before the horse. We don't know the direct or indirect causes of this man's accident. That's a job for the investigators and perhaps the courts.

But the incident is one more grim reminder to those who work or visit on railroad property that the environment is often dangerous and unpredictable.
  by MTASUPT

Tool, does the yard have Concrete ties?
  by Retiree03

MTASUPT wrote:Tool, does the yard have Concrete ties?
No; Babylon Yard has wood ties. For the most part, yards don't require concrete ties.