Railroad Forums 

• SAL and SCL locks

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#939916  by Jermbubba

Hello All! Glad to be here! Im looking for some info on these 3 locks. In order left to right.

Heart Shaped, SAL B RY j.h.w. climax co.wark nu usa Key - fraim 21287 sal ry

Painted- SAL ry pat march 5 1929 no key - I was told by grandfather this was painted by RR for a bicentennial celebration, Im not sure where that took place or the authenticity of that story.

Adalake- scl rr at 2040482 no key

Im new to RR, but have been able to research the history of these lines. My real questions are about the possible value of these for insurance, and if any one knows more about the Painted one... Thanks in advance I look forward to many great convos. to come!
Attachments:
DSC_3789-w640-h480.JPG
DSC_3789-w640-h480.JPG (315.78 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
 #940678  by travelrobb

I can tell you a little bit about your locks and key.

Potentially the most valuable of the locks is the brass heart-shaped lock on the left--it depends on how the lock is marked. The rarest, most valuable locks would have the railroad initials cast or embossed on the back of the lock in a fancy script marking, like this. (I'm guessing your lock is not so marked.) Next most valuable is with a cast or embossed railroad identification down the center of the back of the lock, like this. With a cast marking, the lock could be worth hundreds of dollars--the ACL version sold for about $600. More common is a lock with the railroad initials factory stamped on the shackle--a lock like this might be worth $50-$100. However, if the lock was stamped by the railroad itself in its own shops -- the giveaway here is that the letters are usually unevenly spaced -- the lock is worth much less. If you post a photo of the lock's markings, I can give you more guidance. Brass heart-shaped locks seem to have been made into the 1940s.

The SALRR key is probably worth $25-$30.

The two steel, "modern" switch locks are worth a lot less -- maybe $5 to $10 each. It is unlikely that the railroad painted the SAL lock in bicentennial colors--locks were (and are) pretty utilitarian, even the fancy brass ones, and weren't particularly well-treated. I can supply you with a matching SALRR key for this lock if you'd like one. Send me a private note if you're interested.

Finally, the Adlake lock on the right dates from 1967 (when SCL was formed) to the early 1970s. It's possible that there is a three-digit date code just to the right of the keyhole--the first digit is the quarter, and the next two digits are the year. However, I believe Adlake stopped dating their locks that way before 1967. In the mid-70s, the manufacturer began dating their locks on the back side of the big shackle bolt, but again, I believe that came after this style of lock.

Hope that helps,
travelrobb