• AEM-7/P42 Double Header

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CSX Conductor

Limited-Clear wrote:Tuesday night Amtrak 66 had a pair of P42DCs leading the AEM7 (pan up), wednesday a single P42DC was leading the AEM7 (pan up) and last night P42DC #107 was leading AEM7 935 (pan up)
Two diesels and a dead meatball, plus a deadhead bag made it a slug to run.
  by David Benton

CSX Conductor wrote:Metro-North usually only has power outages on Friday nights, sometimes Saturday nights. It is not every week either. As mentioned before, the double header move was originally for work on the Shore Line, not on the Mets.
David Benton wrote:Why is the cafe car behind the baggage ? thats alot of traffic passing through the car next to it , whose passengers are presumably trying to sleep .
Any cars placed between the locomotive(s) and the baggage car are dead-heads because they are added to or taken off of the train at WAS with the locomotives.
Its on the passenger side of the baggage car . most photos ive seen of this train have it behind the baggage car , as the first passenger car .
  by Irishiron

By Morrisville last night 2" late -- 66(30) 104, 924 with 7. -- P42DC 107 still shopped.
  by Limited-Clear

Tonights (Thursday train/Friday morning at Trenton) version had a P42DC leading the AEM-7 a dead AmCan (not sure exactly what), baggage and regular coaches, no numbers tonight they passed us while we crawled towards a stop signal at Morris.

2 nights ago it was just the AEM-7.
  by CSX Conductor

I forget the number of the dead-head coach, but I believe it was a 25xxx car, which would be a Cafe.
  by Irishiron

Limited-Clear wrote:Tonights (Thursday train/Friday morning at Trenton) version had a P42DC leading the AEM-7 a dead AmCan (not sure exactly what), baggage and regular coaches, no numbers tonight they passed us while we crawled towards a stop signal at Morris.

Just an AEM-7 on 66(29) was due to the 107 getting shopped for a bad cab heater and an MU problem. None of the other properly equipped P42's were available apparently.

This morning on 66(31) by Bristol was...
Amfleet II Cafe Deadhead
Baggage
Amfleet's x 5
Running electric.

Made it into Trenton 6mins early, left 1min late. Never made it up.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Irishiron wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:Tonights (Thursday train/Friday morning at Trenton) version had a P42DC leading the AEM-7 a dead AmCan (not sure exactly what), baggage and regular coaches, no numbers tonight they passed us while we crawled towards a stop signal at Morris.

Just an AEM-7 on 66(29) was due to the 107 getting shopped for a bad cab heater and an MU problem. None of the other properly equipped P42's were available apparently.

This morning on 66(31) by Bristol was...
Amfleet II Cafe Deadhead
Baggage
Amfleet's x 5
Running electric.

Made it into Trenton 6mins early, left 1min late. Never made it up.
Hey Irish, you know alil to much...Haha. Do you work for Amtrak? Just wondering? I do remember an MU problem 1 night with a P42. It was probably this loco....
  by CSX Conductor

And whenever ya have the 106 in the lead you're guaranteed to have cab signal failure.
  by Irishiron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Hey Irish, you know alil to much...Haha. Do you work for Amtrak? Just wondering?
You can never know too much. Truth be told though, I have an invaluable mystical power. It's called paying attention. ;-)
CSX Conductor wrote:And whenever ya have the 106 in the lead you're guaranteed to have cab signal failure.
You guys just get all the winners, huh? Haha. Well...the radio sounded like crap when I heard him tonight. Might as well have just shoved his head in the can and screamed.
  by Limited-Clear

Got a look at 66 last night, he had P42dc 107 and AEM7 946, been getting lucky this week as track 1 has been out of service and we have been running track 2 Holmes to Morris (keeps us in front of 66 and gives me an eyeball on it almost every night)
  by Limited-Clear

Wednesday nights train was P42dc 104, AEM7 929, dead AmCoach 25026, baggage, 5 AmCoaches, also as a side note the weed sprayer Hi-Rails were out on track 2 near Grundy, made for a slip and slide up track 1 (whatever they spray makes it worse than leaf fall season)
  by Jtgshu

Limited-Clear wrote:Wednesday nights train was P42dc 104, AEM7 929, dead AmCoach 25026, baggage, 5 AmCoaches, also as a side note the weed sprayer Hi-Rails were out on track 2 near Grundy, made for a slip and slide up track 1 (whatever they spray makes it worse than leaf fall season)
yea that stuff is BAAAAAAAAAAD....i dunno what it is, but it might as well be motor oil.
  by Irishiron

66(11) dead on time by Elizabeth 107/924 and 6. Running electric, and giving the CMV guys a cool breeze working the wire on 3.

Weed sprayer was out on 2 between Swift and Bergen at the time also. Sounded like the last few Transits were having fun through there.
Last edited by Irishiron on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Friday the (66)train was over 2 hours late because of a problem on CSX-land. I understand it was a downed tree.Saturday and Sunday 66 was right on time. I suggest you wait at Elizabeth on the days I have it. Even when we leave DC 35 minutes late, I still push the train to get up to NYO on time. Afterall, I need to ride 67 to go home and sleep.Haha
  by Irishiron

Jtgshu wrote: yea that stuff is BAAAAAAAAAAD....i dunno what it is, but it might as well be motor oil.
Most of the railroads use a non-selective herbicide. In other words, it kills every type of vegetation it coats. And you're not far off. Many of them are based on or include petroleum byproducts.