• AEM-7/P42 Double Header

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by cruiser939

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Oh well, I guess one could throw in a "told you so" at this point, but as any ten year old kid knows, that is writing a chapter of your best seller titled "How to Loose Friends and Make Enemies".

As I have noted at other topics, and Otto concurs when we had Breakfast together this past Monday, 60 Mass does read what we write around here.
Glad to see that you're vain enough to believe that 60 Mass read your particular post and decided to change practices solely based on it and no other factors. And did you really have to include the tidbit about dining with otto? I mean how does that add any worth or value to anything? Yes, some bosses peruse these boards. That shouldn't come as much of a surprise though.
  by Jersey_Mike

Ive been meaning to post this for well over a week so I apoligize, but the double heading of a P42 and AEM7 on 66-67 is done. Amtrak figured out that it would be easier and cheaper to just run the electrics betwen DC and New Haven with the engine change being performed in New Haven. I will the oddball train with 2 different kinds of locomotives but I certainly wont miss operating it. Breakdowns were quite frequent and it wasnt a smooth train to handle. So long and thanks for all the fish....
Seemed to be a better alternative than the competing dual-mode technologies offered by Bombardier.
  by cruiser939

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Ive been meaning to post this for well over a week so I apoligize, but the double heading of a P42 and AEM7 on 66-67 is done. Amtrak figured out that it would be easier and cheaper to just run the electrics betwen DC and New Haven with the engine change being performed in New Haven. I will the oddball train with 2 different kinds of locomotives but I certainly wont miss operating it. Breakdowns were quite frequent and it wasnt a smooth train to handle. So long and thanks for all the fish....
Maybe Amtrak just got frustrated with the added fuel costs associated with that move because one of their engineers liked to kick on the diesel and rumble up the NEC as if the train were his personal pleasure craft. :P
  by Silverliner II

cruiser939 wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Ive been meaning to post this for well over a week so I apoligize, but the double heading of a P42 and AEM7 on 66-67 is done. Amtrak figured out that it would be easier and cheaper to just run the electrics betwen DC and New Haven with the engine change being performed in New Haven. I will the oddball train with 2 different kinds of locomotives but I certainly wont miss operating it. Breakdowns were quite frequent and it wasnt a smooth train to handle. So long and thanks for all the fish....
Maybe Amtrak just got frustrated with the added fuel costs associated with that move because one of their engineers liked to kick on the diesel and rumble up the NEC as if the train were his personal pleasure craft. :P
Now what good engineer would POSSIBLY do that? :P
  by BuddSilverliner269

GBN, Otto and others, I have said this before and will say it again, but if the railroads actually listened to its engineers more, things could possibly move a lot more smoothly. They could've asked any engineer on 66-67(I voiced my frustration a few times to mechanical in dc ). Cruiser and silverliner you guys have to prove I ha e done these such things you speak of.
  by Silverliner II

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:GBN, Otto and others, I have said this before and will say it again, but if the railroads actually listened to its engineers more, things could possibly move a lot more smoothly. They could've asked any engineer on 66-67(I voiced my frustration a few times to mechanical in dc ). Cruiser and silverliner you guys have to prove I ha e done these such things you speak of.
LOL.... now I know you wouldn't do that, Budd! :D
  by AEM7AC920

Noticed 66 this morning with a single P42 and a viewliner on the rear end of the set, have they added the sleeper back to this as a regular?
  by Gilbert B Norman

No; Mr. AEM7.

In all likelihood, the Viewliner inbound on 448(21) had to be Bad Ordered, Sunnyside holds a pool of protect cars as does Hialeah. The car observed was likely added to consist of 66(22) at NYP, and surely will be in consist of 449(23).
  by AEM7AC920

Thanks for the response I figured the same but was unsure since I saw people in the car or most likely employees! This is my 3rd day working back over amtrak territory and I didn't happen to notice a viewliner the other 2 days.
  by BuddSilverliner269

The viewliner was added to 66 in DC last night due to VIPS being on board. I don't know who they were but I saw the car being readied as I was prepping my locomotive to put onto 90 in DC.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, I'll stand corrected on that one. What else is new - the railroad runs for the convenience of the VIP's.

Just think; car had first to be DH Southward to Wash, then back Westward to NY.
  by gp40marc69

When I took 66 back in March, we had two sets of P42s. One DHD equipment from Stamford to New Haven and a P42 tacked on at New Haven for the trip to Boston. I thought it was because of the power issues they had on Mar 19th when the NEC from NYC-WAS had a massive power outage. While on the train, the power kept flickering on and off at times between New York and New Haven (probably with the voltage changes, and probably because we had an HHP-8). I was surprised at how the P42 performed on the Corridor and felt as if we still had been on electric power having up the NEC.
  by hi55us

gp40marc69 wrote:When I took 66 back in March, we had two sets of P42s. One DHD equipment from Stamford to New Haven and a P42 tacked on at New Haven for the trip to Boston. I thought it was because of the power issues they had on Mar 19th when the NEC from NYC-WAS had a massive power outage. While on the train, the power kept flickering on and off at times between New York and New Haven (probably with the voltage changes, and probably because we had an HHP-8). I was surprised at how the P42 performed on the Corridor and felt as if we still had been on electric power having up the NEC.
From the few times I've been on a diesel-hauled train it's made me realize how they need to invest in the track in other parts of the country before putting up wires.
  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Oh well, I guess one could throw in a "told you so" at this point, but as any ten year old kid knows, that is writing a chapter of your best seller titled "How to Loose Friends and Make Enemies".

As I have noted at other topics, and Otto concurs when we had Breakfast together this past Monday, 60 Mass does read what we write around here.
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:GBN, Otto and others, I have said this before and will say it again, but if the railroads actually listened to its engineers more, things could possibly move a lot more smoothly. They could've asked any engineer on 66-67(I voiced my frustration a few times to mechanical in dc ). Cruiser and silverliner you guys have to prove I ha e done these such things you speak of.
Someone who currently resides at 60 Mass must have missed this thread and they are unaware of your thoughts. You may want to opine one more time or write them directly...and soon. You probably have less than a week.

Enough said.