Railroad Forums 

• Juice Train schedule?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#410382  by Sojourner

Hi all,

I am trying to track down the approximate times/days that the CSX "Juice Train" comes through Cincinnati. My father worked for the B&O/Chessie out of Silver Grove KY in the 70's/80's. Anyway, he passed away in 1995 when I was 18, which means Hayden, my 3 year old, never got to meet him. Now Hayden is a huge "Thomas the Tank Engine" fan, and I thought taking him out to see the Juice Train pass by (with OJ in hand), might make for some good father and son time, as well as maybe be able to tell him about his Grandpa since he's been asking about things like that lately.

I'm also open to any other suggestions. If I might be able to point out an old Chessie car or engine that's missed getting painted, even better.

Thanks for the help.

#410504  by EMTRailfan

The only juice train that I could find info on goes from FL-NJ and return as Q740 and Q741 respectively. If you can get the train ID for the one in Cincinnati, try here: http://bullsheet.com/news/freight.html
or here for all of the CSX trains going through Cincinnati: http://bullsheet.com/news/qts-cincinnati.html
 #410570  by Ocala Mike

Sojourner, I believe the Tropicana trains are strictly Bradenton, FL - Kearny, NJ runs these days. The Cincinnati runs were discontinues a few years back.
 #410587  by Wanderer

Ocala Mike wrote:Sojourner, I believe the Tropicana trains are strictly Bradenton, FL - Kearny, NJ runs these days. The Cincinnati runs were discontinues a few years back.
Well, it's no longer a unit move. I believe small groups of cars are handled via general manifests.
 #411240  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Ocala Mike wrote:Sojourner, I believe the Tropicana trains are strictly Bradenton, FL - Kearny, NJ runs these days. The Cincinnati runs were discontinues a few years back.

We have 15 or 20 Tropicana cars EVERYDAY on our intermodal fast freight Q142. It comes up to Atlanta and then goes thru Etowah Tn and then to Corbin Ky and then to Cincinnati---after that I do not know.
 #411353  by Ocala Mike

So, Sojourner, I guess you'll have to settle for a "mixed drink" train (stacks and juice). No more "straight" juice trains to Cincy. Come to think on it, though, Q142 is a more interesting bag than a long string of identical reefers, right?

#414507  by lakeshoredave

When I lived in North Carolina.....northbound version came through in the early to late mornings.....southbound version of empties came through between dinner time and midnite. All depends on what traffic it encounters along the way on the Single Track that CSX still has south of Rocky Mount.
 #914212  by TheBaran

I was in Louisiana last week heading eastbound on I-190 toward Baton Rouge paralleling what I believe is a UP main. I spotted an eastbound mixed freight just west of Livonia. The front-end contained about 15 or so Tropicana cars. Any idea where the juice cars were coming from? Replies specific to Cincy service indicated routing thru Atlanta and Kentucky. There is an old post in the Western Railfan section that suggests possible service to Los Angeles. Thanks.
 #916278  by traininvain

TheBaran wrote:I was in Louisiana last week heading eastbound on I-190 toward Baton Rouge paralleling what I believe is a UP main. I spotted an eastbound mixed freight just west of Livonia. The front-end contained about 15 or so Tropicana cars. Any idea where the juice cars were coming from? Replies specific to Cincy service indicated routing thru Atlanta and Kentucky. There is an old post in the Western Railfan section that suggests possible service to Los Angeles. Thanks.

They're headed back east from Long Beach. They used to always be at the front or back of an intermodal train but now I've seen them on some strange mixture headed east through Houston.
 #917143  by bluedash2

Sojourner wrote:Hi all,

I am trying to track down the approximate times/days that the CSX "Juice Train" comes through Cincinnati. My father worked for the B&O/Chessie out of Silver Grove KY in the 70's/80's. Anyway, he passed away in 1995 when I was 18, which means Hayden, my 3 year old, never got to meet him. Now Hayden is a huge "Thomas the Tank Engine" fan, and I thought taking him out to see the Juice Train pass by (with OJ in hand), might make for some good father and son time, as well as maybe be able to tell him about his Grandpa since he's been asking about things like that lately.

I'm also open to any other suggestions. If I might be able to point out an old Chessie car or engine that's missed getting painted, even better.

Thanks for the help.
There's still some Chessie cars out there but the locos have long since been painted in CSX.