• AEM-7/P42 Double Header

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by HBLR

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I'd like to think that 60 Mass evaluated all possible options before making the decision resulting in the existing practice. Really, volks, they ain't dumb down there - I've known enough of 'em "along the way" (even have had social life with two such of female gender) to make that statement.

I'm certain even assignment of an Amtrak #7XX P-32 ACDM (to my knowledge the third rail through the North/Hudson River Tunnels remains active), PHL-NHV, including light engine moves and/or dead-in-tow so that such would be available to handle Empire Service trains, was considered. It is just one of these "rock and a hard place" situations. Engineering (or whatever the responsibility is for the catenary system) wants to be able to remove from service any segment of catenary during the time 66/67 is on the road and Operations doesn't want to worry about what segments they will remove on any given day. Throw in Metro-North who also wants to maintain their own catenary when they please, and you end up with a situation as exists today.

Oh well, what's another day on the railroad.
I was under the impression that only the northern tube had the 3rd rail.
  by Jtgshu

I don't remember which tube off hand, but it was just in the Amtrak paper work (I just took note of it and remembered it and this thread), that one tube the 3rd rail is completely OOS, and the other one is in service for a few hundred feet.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Technically , both tubes have third rail, but both tubes are having work done to the third rail. Its being completely redone. This is in case of a train breakdown and a lirr train needs to be used as a rescue. Thr north river tunnels are having work done to the ventilation and security systems and also third rail.
  by Mcoov

Jersey_Mike wrote:Video of Train 67 departing Baltimore Southbound with a P42/AEM-7 combo. Taken back in Jan around MLK day.
Ha, engine number 0.
  by Limited-Clear

Tuesday night Amtrak 66 had a pair of P42DCs leading the AEM7 (pan up), wednesday a single P42DC was leading the AEM7 (pan up) and last night P42DC #107 was leading AEM7 935 (pan up)
  by Limited-Clear

After getting to Trenton on Septa triple 7s (with 269 leading) I notice 66 was running a little late, ran up to the car for the camera and shot P42DC #110 leading an AEM7, I am told this is a regular occurance now for this train so MOW can take place without having to worry about electric traction getting through, here is a my shot taken from track 4 (posted on RRpicturearchives):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2459521

LC
  by BuddSilverliner269

Limited-Clear wrote:After getting to Trenton on Septa triple 7s (with 269 leading) I notice 66 was running a little late, ran up to the car for the camera and shot P42DC #110 leading an AEM7, I am told this is a regular occurance now for this train so MOW can take place without having to worry about electric traction getting through, here is a my shot taken from track 4 (posted on RRpicturearchives):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2459521

LC
I am the engineer for 66 on Fri-Sun. I have seen you out there with your tripod and camera. I see you work for Septa? At least thats what your uniform looks like it says? I originally worked there. Tell them you saw Kid Buff...They all know me.Im still a legend out there.Hahaha
  by Limited-Clear

Hi Budd,

Yes that is me with the Tripod, I am an AC (for now), generally I just head home after we get in, but the previous 2 fridays I have had the chance to run to the car for my camera equipment for those night shots, my interests I keep out of work as the 2 don't really mix well.

LC
  by BuddSilverliner269

You would be surprised. More guys at septa are train buffs then you think and I was very well received. Half my wedding in october were septa employees if you're around next friday, say hello. Oh btw I'm late because of trackwork in Md on weekends.
  by David Benton

Why is the cafe car behind the baggage ? thats alot of traffic passing through the car next to it , whose passengers are presumably trying to sleep .
  by Irishiron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I am the engineer for 66 on Fri-Sun.
So how'd you like the dual P42 combo tonight? :-P
  by BuddSilverliner269

Irishiron wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I am the engineer for 66 on Fri-Sun.
So how'd you like the dual P42 combo tonight? :-P
I marked off Sunday because of an emergency I had at Home, but I understand that that combo for Sunday night was the 110,107 and an AEM7....That second diesel was the 107, and it has no cab heat Saturday night so instead of trying to fix it, I guess they decided to make it a trailing unit. I refused the engine saturday night because of that reason and 66 only went up with an AEM7. The electric was in the lead up to Stamford, when they did a tow service with a diesel. Sorry, I let many things go mechanically, but Im not taking a locomotive with no heat in 20 degree weather.
  by Irishiron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I marked off Sunday because of an emergency I had at Home, but I understand that that combo for Sunday night was the 110,107 and an AEM7....That second diesel was the 107, and it has no cab heat Saturday night so instead of trying to fix it, I guess they decided to make it a trailing unit. I refused the engine saturday night because of that reason and 66 only went up with an AEM7. The electric was in the lead up to Stamford, when they did a tow service with a diesel. Sorry, I let many things go mechanically, but Im not taking a locomotive with no heat in 20 degree weather.
That it did. Also had a deadhead coach. -- 67(27) came down with just an AEM-7, so I'm guessing he either made it out before they cut the power, or they cut it off at New Haven.
  by CSX Conductor

Metro-North usually only has power outages on Friday nights, sometimes Saturday nights. It is not every week either. As mentioned before, the double header move was originally for work on the Shore Line, not on the Mets.
David Benton wrote:Why is the cafe car behind the baggage ? thats alot of traffic passing through the car next to it , whose passengers are presumably trying to sleep .
Any cars placed between the locomotive(s) and the baggage car are dead-heads because they are added to or taken off of the train at WAS with the locomotives.