• Cafe menus now posted

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Murjax

Hamhock wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Murjax wrote:Menu looks a lot more appeasing than it did a few years ago when I last rode Amtrak.
For reference, here's the 2005-06 menu.
Complete with magic-marker deletions! I love professionalism. Would it be too much to ask to have a few little square matching-font "SOLD OUT" stickers printed to cover up the price of the no-longer-available items?
Do they still do that? The new menus definitely have a "professional" look to it. You'd think they would also act more professional.

TomNelligan wrote:
Are the cafe attendants amtrak employees? Do they wear amtrak uniforms?
No and no. They work for the contractor, a company called Epicurean Feast.
Also have the cafe attendants always been contracted? I remember uniformed employees working there (or at least I think I do). If they weren't always contracted, when did they start using Epicurean Feast?
  by TomNelligan

Downeaster food and beverage service has been contracted since the beginning. The cafe attendants do wear uniforms, but they're not the standard Amtrak uniforms.
  by hi55us

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Murjax wrote:Menu looks a lot more appeasing than it did a few years ago when I last rode Amtrak.
that seems like the typical amtrak regional menu in 2005 (before they changed the pizza and various other items on the menu) plus it was stated that the beer is only $3.50 (it's $5 on there)
  by R36 Combine Coach

As for the Downeaster, Epicurean Feast is a full service foodservice company that serves many corporate clients, colleges, defense/military establishments, museums and other public and private sector customers.
  by Greg Moore

Hamhock wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Complete with magic-marker deletions! I love professionalism. Would it be too much to ask to have a few little square matching-font "SOLD OUT" stickers printed to cover up the price of the no-longer-available items?
Look more closely. That's black tape. It can be removed.

I have seen them use "sold out" stickers also.
  by neroden

I will say that I am very pleased by the online posting of both cafe and diner menus; it makes it much, much easier for people with dietary restrictions to know in advance of travel what their options will be on Amtrak.
  by dumpster.penguin

The Empire Service page says the trip takes 7 hours 20 minutes and that there is a cafe car, but I don't see the menu. Probably, it is the northeast regional standard.

Take the internet prices with a grain of salt. On recent travels, the onboard menu had some price increases magic markered in.
  by R36 Combine Coach

As for the beer/wine selections, are they a "standard" serving (eg. 12 oz beer can) or mini "airline" bottles? The liquor is served with a choice of mixer (Bloody Mary mix, tonic, seltzer, juice, Pepsi, etc).

The Empire Service only offers cafe service on trains north on Albany.
  by SwingMan

Beer is 12oz cans, other is mini bottles.
  by R36 Combine Coach

New February 2011 Acela Express menu now available. No major changes, other than cham chowder being noted as "16 oz". (Legal Seafoods Clam Chowder is a regional item only on Acela Express and Downeaster)
  by n2cbo

R36 Combine Coach wrote: White Castle cheeseburgers are exclusive on the Chicago/Midwest menu.
I hope they have extra large holding tanks for the rest rooms...
They don't call them "Sliders" for nothing 8^)
  by Robert Paniagua

And as with all other food menus in the country, all Amtrak Cafe menus must have the following safety notation:

"Please inform your server if anyone in your party has a food allergy" to ensure that your train food experience is a healthy one and not an allergic reaction occurs.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

Robert Paniagua wrote:And as with all other food menus in the country, all Amtrak Cafe menus must have the following safety notation:

"Please inform your server if anyone in your party has a food allergy" to ensure that your train food experience is a healthy one and not an allergic reaction occurs.
That's just meaningless legalese. Since the food is almost entirely prepackaged, it all comes down to food labeling.

If you want to make sure your "train food experience is a healthy one," all passengers would be well advised to bring their own food and beverages. It's cheaper and better.
  by peconicstation

The following has been added to the dining car information page.

"Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free Meals

Amtrak does not offer meals specifically designated as low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, gluten free, wheat free or peanut free. Most dinner entrees are not prepared on the dining car. The fat, cholesterol, sodium, gluten, wheat and peanut content may vary, and cannot be controlled or modified by the chef. Requests for these types of meals as they cannot be honored.

Certain menu items are inherently low in fat, cholesterol and/or sodium and may be ordered from the regular menu. The dining car waiter or lead service attendant can provide guidance.
Plan for Contingencies

Due to events beyond our control, trains are sometimes delayed and supplies may become limited. If you have diabetes or special dietary requirements, please make sure that you carry sufficient nourishment with you to meet your dietary needs."
  by goodnightjohnwayne

peconicstation wrote:The following has been added to the dining car information page.

"Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free Meals

Amtrak does not offer meals specifically designated as low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, gluten free, wheat free or peanut free. Most dinner entrees are not prepared on the dining car. The fat, cholesterol, sodium, gluten, wheat and peanut content may vary, and cannot be controlled or modified by the chef. Requests for these types of meals as they cannot be honored.

Certain menu items are inherently low in fat, cholesterol and/or sodium and may be ordered from the regular menu. The dining car waiter or lead service attendant can provide guidance.
Plan for Contingencies

Due to events beyond our control, trains are sometimes delayed and supplies may become limited. If you have diabetes or special dietary requirements, please make sure that you carry sufficient nourishment with you to meet your dietary needs."
More meaningless legalese. It looks as if Amtrak is less capable of dealing with dietary requirements than the airlines, despite using the same commissary companies. Formerly, dietary requests were supposedly handled with a couple of weeks advanced warning. If anything, this would represent a giant step backwards in customer service. Why can the airlines do so much better, using the same suppliers? This lack of flexibility will exclude a growing percentage of the population from long distance service. Who wants to pay four figures to ride in a sleeper for days on end, without anything they can safely eat?

It looks as if Amtrak is actually advising passengers to bring their own food. It might be time for Amtrak to get out of the food service business and contract out all food service. After all, the Fred Harvey organization not only ran the "eating houses" along the Sante Fe route, but the dining cars as well.