Railroad Forums 

• Great Miami & Scioto Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#880697  by iceman977th

Any info on if the railroad is still active? I passed the old ROW (former B&O Portsmouth Sub) and saw part of the end of the line outside of Oak Hill while driving on route 140 & 93. I may take a trip one day and see if I can catch some action on the line if it still is. Also, why does the track end south of Oak Hill, but run straight through town? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
 #891368  by dtiman421

Yes, the old portsmouth sub is still active, but mostly from Jackson northward to Wellston and Hamden. No train has been south of jackson to Oak Hill since last August. The tracks continue past Oak hill, and through Blackfork Jct. to a former customer about one mile down route 140 from route 93, at the end of the line at MP 31. That shipper was last served in mid-2009, although the tracks have the appearance of being unused for years! The shipper at the south end of Oak Hill, whose spur crosses route 93, last shipped out a load of clay in August 2010.

A train can be found in Jackson at least once per week, often on a Tuesday or Thursday.
 #900152  by iceman977th

dtiman421 wrote:Yes, the old portsmouth sub is still active, but mostly from Jackson northward to Wellston and Hamden. No train has been south of jackson to Oak Hill since last August. The tracks continue past Oak hill, and through Blackfork Jct. to a former customer about one mile down route 140 from route 93, at the end of the line at MP 31. That shipper was last served in mid-2009, although the tracks have the appearance of being unused for years! The shipper at the south end of Oak Hill, whose spur crosses route 93, last shipped out a load of clay in August 2010.

A train can be found in Jackson at least once per week, often on a Tuesday or Thursday.
Yeah, I thought it was just abandoned. I could see where the old roadbed used to be further west on 140. Might have to take a trip up to Jackson to catch them in action.

Any idea when they cut the line, and why? I've looked on a few sites for answers to no avail.